VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-27-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Arduino microcontroller

Experimenting with the Arduino microcontroller to perform some small tasks in the Aircraft.

http://joesrv12.com/Builder%20Log/bl_42_11.htm

Has anyone used this in a their aircraft.

Joe dallas
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.rvbuilderlist.com
Old 05-27-2017, 08:25 PM

I have a handful of them with various stages of code done for a variety of tasks in the airplane. One of the setups is for evaluation of temperature, pressure and flow at various points in the cowling. Another is to show status of a few systems and to control the smoke system (programmed pulses, etc.).

I also built and wrote a whole new (and much more reliable) pilot-controlled runway lighting system based on the Arduino Uno. It's been operating at the airport here for a few months now, works great.

These are some nifty devices and capabilities are pretty much what you can dream up, and learn to code. It does take time away from actually building the plane though hah, so I have set that stuff aside for now.

Flying a Warrior PA28-151 and a few RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)
Old 05-28-2017, 06:44 AM

I have come to expect innovation from Joe. That is one interesting 12!
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 05-28-2017, 04:17 PM

Default under cowl monitoring

Greg, would be great to find out more about your project. I'd also like to put in more temp probes under the cowl, and having pressure would be really interesting (I think!).

Do you have more details about what you are doing? I have not yet experimented with an arduino, and would be happy to get any hints. I'm considering just buying a bunch of stuff, but also fear it will take time from my build project, since I do love to code.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:23 PM

Have built several Arduino based projects that I have used in my airplane.

Some examples:

Remote AOA indicator that decodes the serial stream from an EFIS and drives and LED display.

PMag ignition monitor that decodes the serial stream from the PMag and drives a LCD display.

High speed serial logger that logs the serial streams from an EFIS to an SD card.

Built my own Arduino AOA computer. Got it working but never perfected it since Garmin added the G3X at which point I did not need it anymore.

The Arduino line seems to be a great platform for these kinds of task. The brand name hardware is solid as a rock and just works. If the code is solid, they will run with amazing reliability.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 05-28-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Default Arduino Magic

Thank All
I hopped that I was not going down a road never traveled.

I am having a lot of fun writing code and surprised to see it work so well.

I have never used C or C++.

I have used RBace , DBace , Foxpro and SQL and C in not that much different.

My website www.Rvbuilderlist.com is SQL which I have neglected since I started building a Plane.

Thanks Again
Joe
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.rvbuilderlist.com
Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 PM

Some interesting stuff there (shame we would have to get a mod approved for most of this in the uk).

Have you looked at the ESP8266? It's ideal for when you don't want to run wires. It is a tiny low power (3.3v/~800ma) programmable, stand alone, wifi module. Using two of them, or one and a tablet/phone, you could easily have a wireless link setup.

I've been playing with one for decoding and displaying the PilotAware data (a beefed up version of the Stratux system you have in the US). It might end up being useful for microlights where space and weigh is a big issue. A bit of Velcro would easily hold it up where you want it with no wires.

I did a video showing the ESP8266 to show the size of it, I hadn't received my circuit boards for the voltage regulator at this point so it is running off 2xAA batteries.

In the video there are 4 parts. a 3D printed case, the screen, the ESP8266 (the small board) and the batteries. The final one will have a lipo with charger and regulator but you get the idea from this as to how small they are.

This one has a description of the screen layout and what is going on, this was early on so it is still all on a breadboard.

Not having tested this in a real aircraft I don't know if it will be any good (it might not be readable or cause interference) but for now it is fun playing round with it when I'm not building

The thing I like about these modules is they are tiny and need very little power. For most projects you can replace the Arduino with one of these and have a smaller/lighter/cheaper system.
A quick search on youtube will show the kind of things people are doing with them.

Just thought I would point them out for anyone who hasn't come across them yet. I haven't used my arduino since getting these
Old 05-28-2017, 09:28 PM

Hey Joe, since you are installing the Arduino into your RV, consider using an Arduino Nano. Much smaller and with the same functionality as an Uno.

Save the Uno for prototyping your ideas.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:20 PM

I have just finished a flap, trim system for my 7A. I purchased the arduino mini pro a month ago and taught myself programming, many thanks to the source of all knowledge, " YouTube "

I use an Infinity grip and backup switches on the panel

Built in safety's:

Flaps auto raise over 100 knots
Flaps will not lower over 100 knots
Trim/ flap motors will stop after 10 seconds continuous, takes 7 seconds for full flap travel
Trim speed slows down over 100 knots
Reverse switch movement will stop trim/flap motors immediately

Normal functions:

Each momentary activation of flap switch will move flaps and trim to next programmed position.
If flap switch gets a double activation within 1/2 second, will move to full up/down
If flap switch is held for 1 second will go into manual mode, the flap & trim will stop on release.( this was designed so a cessna driver can operate the system )
Two trim schedules to cover trim with and without passenger.

Next project is to incorporate a lidar sensor so I can get an altitude readout as I approach the runway... 50, 20, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 retard, thought that might be hilarious, especially if I can transmit it over the radio. Trouble is the lidar cost $US200 ( about $CN10,000 , or thereabouts at current rates). Of course there is one practical safety advantage to this, our runway is very narrow and poorly lighted, knowing how close to the runway will help in making sure the nose wheel is up on touchdown.

Airspeed info is coming from the GRT HXr, had Greg ad this feature, in programming discrete outputs select "airspeed" then at the bottom enter the airspeed you require. Although the discrete outputs are not in their literature they do still exist, by memory I am using discrete output three which is connector "B" pin 10.

Last edited by petersb : 05-29-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersb View Post
I have just finished a flap, trim system for my 7A. I purchased the arduino mini pro a month ago and taught myself programming, many thanks to the source of all knowledge, " YouTube "

Built in safety's:

Flaps auto raise over 100 knots
Flaps will not lower over 100 knots
Trim/ flap motors will stop after 10 seconds
Trim speed slows down over 100 knots

Normal functions:

Each momentary activation of flap switch will move flaps and trim to next programmed position.
If flap switch gets a double activation within 1/2 second will move to full up/down
If flap switch is held for 1 second will go into manual mode, the flap & trim will stop on release.( this was designed so a cessna driver can operate the system )
Two trim schedules to cover trim with and without passenger.

Next project is to incorporate a lidar sensor so I can get an altitude readout as I approach the runway... 50, 20, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 retard, thought that might be hilarious, especially if I can transmit it over the radio. Trouble is the lidar cost $US200 ( about $CN10,000 , or thereabouts at current rates). Of course there is one practical safety advantage to this, our runway is very narrow and poorly lighted, knowing how close to the runway will help in making sure the nose wheel is up.
Oh...I like the possibility of approach altitude verbal read out (the lidar-lite unit)... coupled with the aoa. The ultimate tinker toys for air plane guys!
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid