VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-24-2017, 07:59 AM

+1 for Walt. Preventable down time in not an option on my -10. First sign of worn tire, replace with new. Not worth the time and hassle to rotate direction. The thin side of the tire is still touching the ground. For me, the extra tire tread is one more line of defense against flats and AOG delays.

Just had this discussion with A&P. New tires going on the -10 next month during CI.
VAF Dues Paid 7/2016
Contribution Made 10/2016
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 AM

Forget where I saw this interesting fact, but, 90% of all flats happen within the last 10% of tread depth.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 AM

Default I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Honestly, stuff like this amazes me that it would even be posted, that you would even consider risking so much for so little is beyond me.
JUST REPLACE THE FREAKIN TIRES!
I agree Walt. I'm probably not going to flip them either. The labor is hardly worth what is left. Aircraft tires are a new experience for me. My last ship had skids.

Really was interested in what to use as an indicator. I guess that indicator is when "smooth"

I should have really lit some passionate responses by asking about toe settings...
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2017 (my reminder)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Default Tire Replacement

I disagree with Walt's very presumptive post. Too bad we all aren't so all-knowing with the desire to control what gets posted.

The original post asked a very rationale question - how do you manage tire wear. I do not replace the tire when one side (the outer) wears first. I monitor tread wear and when the tread gets barely visible remove, reverse and reinstall. When the "new" outer edge tread gets barely visible, I replace the tire.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:22 AM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvalovich View Post
I disagree with Walt's very presumptive post. Too bad we all aren't so all-knowing with the desire to control what gets posted.

The original post asked a very rationale question - how do you manage tire wear. I do not replace the tire when one side (the outer) wears first. I monitor tread wear and when the tread gets barely visible remove, reverse and reinstall. When the "new" outer edge tread gets barely visible, I replace the tire.
Flipping tires is the same method I and no doubt scores of RVers have been using for who knows how long. There doesn't seem to be anecdotal evidence to support this being an unsafe practice. My RV-6 tires get flipped when the outside groove is gone then replaced when the "flipped" groove is erased. This procedure has worked fine on my plane for nearly twenty years. I haven't seen any reason to modify this method.

Having said that, I enjoy performing maintenance on my RV and getting maximum use of the tires. Some RVers (or maintenance shop) may prefer to simply spend money on new tires.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 05-24-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvalovich View Post
I do not replace the tire when one side (the outer) wears first. I monitor tread wear and when the tread gets barely visible remove, reverse and reinstall. When the "new" outer edge tread gets barely visible, I replace the tire.
I do the same with my RV-6A and the 9 other RV's that I inspect and maintain.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-24-2017, 04:53 PM

I think it's a good genuine question & good on the guy for posting it, not everyone here are rocket scientists!
Personally I would swap them around but that depends on the surface you mostly land on. Good condition sealed Rwys etc would mean there are still some landings left (to me). If you do some off field landings as in rough surfaces then it's time to renew. Like everything in aviation it's all about calculated risks & finding out what those risks are can sometimes be found by simply asking here

Last edited by Capt : 05-24-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:25 PM
fugio ergo sum

Default Safety?

I wouldn't look at tread wear as a safety issue as much as a convenience (possibly) issue. I have landed on a completely flat tire as have many others. My experience seems to be typical in that there is no problem with directional control. My airplane happens to be an RV-6.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ight=Flat+Tire

I do the swap when one side gets thin deal, but was interested to see from the photo in the above thread that there was quite a bit of tread on both sides when I had the in-air flat.

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 05-24-2017, 07:12 PM

I think Walt needs a timeout or perhaps something else. Glad you posted Blain.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:28 PM

On the subject, could be the photo, but the tire looks a bit low on pressure.
Like a radial. Blain, what pressure are you maintaining?
B744
Sailplane Racing
Dues