Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2017, 01:31 PM

This morning I measured the take-off and landing roll. My plane weighs 1046lbs, and was carrying me (180lbs) and my friend (200lbs), no bags, and about half fuel. Field elevation is 5500ft and the surface is asphalt. The prop is set-up for climb side. This morning was ~70F -- altimeter setting 29.94.

Take off was just within 450 yards using short field technique. After that climb was a healthy 1600fpm.

Landing roll was about 300 yards, and I was going easy on the brakes.

I'll try again in the next few days with just me in the cockpit.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:37 PM

Thankyou Dan. I was hoping the takeoff run would have been shorter. I may have to look at the cs prop, 450yards would be too long for my strip. Its a shame as I have heard such good reports on the catto.
Miller
Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Default Get a CS prop

FWIW, a CS prop is some of the best money I spent on the project. Like zilik said, what's the point of building a hot rod, then limiting it's performance with a fixed pitch prop.

It should pay for itself in fuel savings, durability, etc over time as well.

Edit: Let me add that the -7 is designed around the O/IO-360 and Hartzell CS prop. So if you go that route, you'll be using a proven design. And, your W&B will be right in the center.

Last edited by Chattin35 : 06-20-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainge View Post
This morning I measured the take-off and landing roll. My plane weighs 1046lbs, and was carrying me (180lbs) and my friend (200lbs), no bags, and about half fuel. Field elevation is 5500ft and the surface is asphalt. The prop is set-up for climb side. This morning was ~70F -- altimeter setting 29.94.

Take off was just within 450 yards using short field technique. After that climb was a healthy 1600fpm.

Landing roll was about 300 yards, and I was going easy on the brakes.

I'll try again in the next few days with just me in the cockpit.
Seriously? When Vans publishes 300 FT takeoff and landing is 350 ft. Takeoff in 450 yards is 1350 feet.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfloridaboy View Post
Seriously? When Vans publishes 300 FT takeoff and landing is 350 ft. Takeoff in 450 yards is 1350 feet.
Seriously? I doubt vans published numbers are for over 6000ft DA and a fixed prop. Could be wrong though....

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfloridaboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by climberrn View Post
Seriously? I doubt vans published numbers are for over 6000ft DA and a fixed prop. Could be wrong though....
Correct.

All published specs are for a zero wind standard temp day at sea level.
If they weren't, then the numbers could be massaged into what ever could be attained on a very cold winter day here in the PNW (we have lots of airports close by that are just barely above sea level) when the wind is blowing like crazy.
Many of the specifications are also with a specifically stated engine / prop. combination. The take-off distance difference between two identical airplanes other than one having a fixed pitch cruise prop and the other having a constant speed, can be quite large.

BTW, a standard sea level temp. and pressure (if I am remembering correctly) is 59 deg F and 29.92". If you are in conditions that are different from a density altitude of zero at sea level and that pressure and temperature, the performance results will be effected.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 09-05-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcelrea View Post
Thankyou Dan. I was hoping the takeoff run would have been shorter. I may have to look at the cs prop, 450yards would be too long for my strip. Its a shame as I have heard such good reports on the catto.
Miller
I haven't done specific measurements on a standard day but I am very happy with the performance of my Catto. Along with that is a fraction of the price up front, simplicity of operation and no maintenance headaches you'll read about here (on some, not all) CS props.

If a good quality CS prop is in your budget, you will have better climb performance but not likely much gain in top speed.

I found a great deal on a O360-A4M so a CS prop was never a consideration thanks to a robust solid crank shaft.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -