- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM

Default fuel pressure problem

I have developed a fuel pressure problem, with the engine not running
and electric fuel pump on I have about 3 psi at 2500 rpm I have about
5.7 psi which is my normal psi while in flight at 5500 rpm I have about
2.2 psi has anyone else had this problem?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM

You might want to ask for assistance on the Rotax Forum...http://www.rotax-owner.com/en/rotax-...ical-questions
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 288
Old 04-29-2017, 05:40 PM

I had similar issues...finally just got a new Rotax fuel pump...problems solved...not covered by warantee
Old 04-29-2017, 06:35 PM

Default warrenty

Ben; have we had any warranty issues covered??? Dick
Building RV 12 E-LSA
Paid thru 2016, even though exempt
RV 12 completed, waiting DAR
Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 AM

Default Fuel Pressure Low

I have had a similar problem. My fuel pressure would drop to about 2.0 on takeoff and sometimes in flight. It drops abruptly but recovers in about a minute or so. I put in a new pressure sender. No help. I put in a new mechanical pump from Lockwood and it was okay for about a month. Then it happened again on takeoff. Called Lockwood and they said it is a common problem with RV-12s. No other types are having this problem with same engine same pump. If anyone has a solution to this problem I would love to hear about it.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 AM

Are you using premium auto gas or 100LL?
RV-12, N913BC
Hobbs over 390 hours and on second set of main tires!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerward View Post
I have had a similar problem. My fuel pressure would drop to about 2.0 on takeoff and sometimes in flight. It drops abruptly but recovers in about a minute or so. I put in a new pressure sender. No help. I put in a new mechanical pump from Lockwood and it was okay for about a month. Then it happened again on takeoff. Called Lockwood and they said it is a common problem with RV-12s. No other types are having this problem with same engine same pump. If anyone has a solution to this problem I would love to hear about it.
Electric fuel pump on all the time? Was this instance a result of restarting a hot engine?
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 288
Old 06-28-2017, 08:05 PM

Any chance there is a restriction in the fuel line? I was troubleshooting an oil pressure problem that did the exact same thing. High power had low oil pressure, low power had good pressure. One of the oil lines was kinked partially, but couldn't be seen because of the fire sleeve. At high power the flow through the restriction couldn't keep up with the need and the pressure dropped. This sounds like it could be the same type of issue with fuel pressure.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 PM

To answer questions: electric pump was on. After airborne I pulled the fuse and pressure dropped about 1 psi so I am pretty sure the electric pump is working the whole time. I'm using 93 octane mogas as recommended. A friend I contacted said he has same problem and he only uses 100LL. I have had the hoses off the pump and they are not kinked. Also, not a hot engine. First flight of the day. I was told this only happens with RV-12 and it is common. Hoping somebody has a solution I haven't tried. Doesn't happen on every takeoff or every flight even. Most solutions like blocked vent or kinked hose would be all the time and this is not. Sounds like a bad pump for sure but the pump is brand new and problem still the same. Two bad pumps maybe? Unlikely! Does anybody else have his problem?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:32 AM

I am also trouble shooting this low fuel pressure issue. I have just received a new fuel pressure sensor ($85.00), but have not installed it yet. Let me explain what is happening in my case and by the way I am using 93 octane w/o ethanol. Flights have been in varying temp ranges (40s - 70s). I also have the new vent system without a fuel cap vent.

I have done the following in between flights but have not solved the problem.
Flushed all fuel from tank with the electric fuel pump. No issue with the electric pump as it pushed 12 gallons fuel steadily and in a timely fashion. Added fresh 93 octane w/o ethanol Removed the strainer screen and found 0 debris. Flushed the fuel sensor hose as per maintenance manuel instructions. ( I did notice there appears to be not much pressure at the end of this hose, but I would expect that if it is reading between 2.0 and 7.0 psi) Checked the fuel pressure sensor wires. Installed a fuel pressure gauge and checked against the Dynon display. I am seeing about a 1.2 psi difference between gauges with the Dynon being lower on the ground (Hoping this is the sensor). Still pressure is only in the 4.5psi psi range with both pumps running. There is a slight drop of about 1.0psi with electric pump turned off. Downloaded the data from the last flight. The fuel pressure drop was gradual and over a 30 minute period. The Dynon download shows approx. 3.5 in the beginning of the flight gradually dropping into the 2.0 range where the FUEL PRESSURE warnings begin.

I plan to install the new sensor next, but not sure if this is the answer. Wondering if there is a way to check the mechanical pump, other than replacement.