VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 AM

My stick wires are at least 6" too short and even then there would not be a lot of freedom of movement. The main wire bundles that extend up to the panel may be long enough to reach the centre avionics but there certainly will not be enough to reach switches and breakers. Thus more connections and future potential failure points will be required. The small molex connectors are not user friendly and it would be much better to use D-sub type connectors for them.
The wiring harness is to me, the only little black cloud in the whole kit.
To end on a good note; the wiring harness diagram is available from the website and I was able to get a local printer to print it full size, 3' by 4', and with the labels on the wire ends tracking down issues should be easier.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Dimension changes where made to the harness drawing quite a while ago to correct this, but unfortunately there are a few harnesses in the field that are slightly too short.
Any harness other than the very early ones will have proper length wires.
Scott, I'm glad changes were made but are there any plans to help those of us who purchased defective (too short wires are a defect) $1500 wiring harnesses ? So far, my kit has been amazing but this is a big disappointment.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 05-21-2017, 02:08 PM

Question wire harness with bag labelled WH-00057 "R2"

I ran into the short wire (C1036 & 37) problem when I installed my wire harness (bag labelled WH-00057 "R2") with the C410P connector plugged into the F-01406B Bulkhead and then pulled the harness aft towards the F-01412 Bulkhead.

However, if I taped the C409P connector to the F-01412 Bulkhead and pulled the harness forward towards the F-01406B Bulkhead I ended up with almost 2 inches of wires (C1036 & 37) extending past the F-01406B Bulkhead! Wires (C723, 1038 & 39) end up too long by a few inches and need to be looped.

Since my harness is labeled "R2", is this one of the newer harnesses?

Do others with the issue also have the "R2" harness?

Richard
Old 06-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Since we've gotten a few calls directly about this in the past week or so, I thought I'd just put this information out there. We have made/tested and now stock sets (co-pilot and pilot) prefabricated stick extension harnesses of 6" in length to plug into your RV-14 harness should you want them. Call us and we'll send you a set!

Cheers,
Stein