Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-27-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sutter View Post
Be careful regarding avionics stack width. Here is what I found out in search of a replacement for my GTX327: The Stratus transponder tray is 6.32" wide while Garmin avionics are 6.25". When I built my plane I sized the radio stack for a snug fit for the Garmin units. It turned out to be too narrow for the Stratus. Check the width of your stack opening before you commit so you don't get a nasty surprise when you try to install the Stratus.
That's one of the problems using one manufacturer or another when building your aircraft. The STANDARD maximum chassis/tray width is 6.375" and the STANDARD maximum face panel is 6.50". Build smaller at your own peril.

Jim
Old 06-30-2017, 08:23 PM

I have a Stratus ESGi installation question. Seems I often run into issues outside of business hours.

Anyway, wrapping up the Stratus ESGi installation but not sure if the Dsub connector mounts to the back of the tray or to the inside of the tray. With the connector mounted to the outside/back of the tray, the connector does not seem to make a complete connection when I slide the transponder in and tighten it down with the allen wrench.

I don't see anything regarding this issue in the installation manual.

Earlier today, I spoke with Chris at Stein Avionics (where I purchased the unit plus the harness) and he thought the connector mounted to the inside of the tray (it's a Cannon Dsub connector).

I would be very grateful for the help should you remember how you installed the Dsub connector to the tray.

Last edited by freddie : 06-30-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:47 PM

I was able to find the "experimental" installation manual at Sporty's which has helpful diagrams on pages 36-38. I was using the certified manual which does not have these diagrams.

http://www.sportys.com/media/pdf/stratusesgexp.pdf
Old 07-11-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Screen blanking

I installed an ESG a few months ago and it has been working great. On the 4th of July I flew over to PHX where it was 113 degrees. It worked fine on the way in even though one of my ipads blanked out from the heat. On taxi out the screen on the ESG was blank. We were doing a formation flyover so I didn't want my transponder on anyway and since then it seems to work normally. Wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the display blanking from heat.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:11 PM

I installed my ESG yesterday.

I seem to have a problem with the altitude information. I have a GRT Sport EFIS. It previously was interfaced with a Garmin GTX327 and used the Z format. I set the ESG to shad/rms. The Altitude input diagonistic shows -1100 ft. The install manual says it should show all zeros.

How have others configured this?

Thanks

Jim Butcher
Old 07-16-2017, 06:35 PM

I figured it out so I thought I'd post it here in case others have the same question.

Turns out the ESG can't use the Fuel/Air Data Format Z that the GTX327 does.

In the serial port setup on the GRT there is Altitude Encoder 1 or 2 as an available selection. I chose Altitude Encoder 1.

A few lines later there is Altitude Encoder Setting. Here you can chose the serial format. I chose Trimble/Garmin.

In the ESG I changed Altitude Source to Serial-trim/gar.

With these changes, the altitude readout on my ESG works!

I hope this is helpful for someone else.

Jim Butcher