- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-24-2017, 06:45 AM

Default Found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer 10 View Post
Ohm out the coax between the transponder and the antenna to make sure the center conductor isn't shorted to the shielding.
Since you are in Florida; it may be worth your time to call Jesse Saint at Saint Aviation and schedule a flight to his location and have him take a look at it. He will have it fixed in short order...
Yes Jesse is a great guy. 20 min by RV north of me.

But I did find it. Or at least correct it. Basically just disconnected everything that had anything to do with the Stratus Xpndr and reconnect. In the course of that, I did check the TNC connections for shorts. Best I can come up with is that the TNC's weren't seated completely at either end.
Following that exercise, a 15 min flight confirmed GPS was receiving and displaying on the panel.

Unfortunately ran out of time and will complete the test flight(s) in Class B Airspace next weekend. Put the rebate in fuel fund.

Thanks
Based at KZPH
AA4SR
Old 04-26-2017, 01:03 PM

How long did it take you guys to get the GPS to link up the first time you powered the ESG up? I don't know if i've got a problem or am just being impatient

I finished installation of mine this morning. Altitude from the GRT is accurate, but I'm not getting any indication of gps activity.
Today is a low IFR day, but even with the hanger door closed, my other two gps receivers picked up the location instantly. I opened the door, and kept the ESG turned on for 10-15 minutes, removed and reinstalled the antenna cable, but it never did display a lat/long on the screen.

I Ohm'd the cable, which is good.
Is there any other way to confirm what the transponder is seeing by way of satellites, if any?
The manual says it could take up to 20 minutes. Did yours take a considerable amount of time to find itself the first time?
Do I just need to suck it up and wait for a nice day to see if this thing works?
Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
How long did it take you guys to get the GPS to link up the first time you powered the ESG up? I don't know if i've got a problem or am just being impatient

I finished installation of mine this morning. Altitude from the GRT is accurate, but I'm not getting any indication of gps activity.
Today is a low IFR day, but even with the hanger door closed, my other two gps receivers picked up the location instantly. I opened the door, and kept the ESG turned on for 10-15 minutes, removed and reinstalled the antenna cable, but it never did display a lat/long on the screen.

I Ohm'd the cable, which is good.
Is there any other way to confirm what the transponder is seeing by way of satellites, if any?
The manual says it could take up to 20 minutes. Did yours take a considerable amount of time to find itself the first time?
Do I just need to suck it up and wait for a nice day to see if this thing works?
It took about 15 minutes as i recall the first time for it to acquire.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 PM

j-red,
Does your GPS antenna cable meet the minimum length requirement?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Default +1 on antenna length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
j-red,
Does your GPS antenna cable meet the minimum length requirement?
If it isn't 10ft long it won't work. My ugly GPS antenna is on the glareshield with a 10.5' piece of rg400 coiled behind the panel.

Took about 15 min to receive the satellites.
Based at KZPH
AA4SR
Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 PM

I've got about 16' of RG174 which has a similar impedence to the rg400. I'll head out to the hanger again tomorrow morning when the weather is clearer and give it some more time.
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:20 AM

Smile Confirm the impedance

Of your cable. Or if you have it, try a 10' (+) length of RG400.

I initially had a problem with coax that had different impedance. When I switched to RG 400 all was well. (I guess that should read "When I followed the instructions to the letter.....)
Based at KZPH
AA4SR
Old 04-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I've got about 16' of RG174 which has a similar impedence to the rg400. I'll head out to the hanger again tomorrow morning when the weather is clearer and give it some more time.
Thanks for the input.
RG174 is unsuitable for this freq, it has approx twice the loss at 1ghz as RG400. Our GPS systems operates in the 1.2 - 1.5 Ghz range.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 04-27-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:30 PM

Diffrerence or not, it works. Went out today and pulled it into the sunlight and set a timer for 20 minutes. Seven minutes later, coordinates popped up on the screen. Flew for 25 mininutrs and stopped, shut down for 15 minutes then started everything back up. This time the connection was made within a couple of minutes. It seems the conclusion is that I was too impatient.
Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Diffrerence or not, it works. Went out today and pulled ione.
Whether or not it works today is not really good enough. Will it still work next week, if the satellites happen to be less optimum?
Bottom line: This is a TSO'd device, and must be installed per the manufacturer's instructions, or technically it is not legal.