- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Charlie,

Thank you for your interest in this product.

We appreciate that this "Connext" stuff can be confusing. Both the hardwire and Bluetooth interfaces in the GTX 345 speak Connext protocol, so no, you don't need a FlightStream 110/210 or anything else to directly connect a mobile device running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight to be able to receive and display traffic, weather, and attitude data from the GTX 345.

Yes, as shown on the "Display Compatibility" page of the GTX 345 web page, the 430W is able to interface to the GTX 345 and display the traffic and weather shown on that web page.

Your existing transponder antenna will probably work, but there is a list of compatible antennas in the installation manual, so if you shoot us an email with information on your antenna, we can check.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,

Thank for the response and good news. I think this is a viable solution for my ADS-B Out/In needs. Way to go Garmin.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganjp View Post
I have a garmin 320 transponder. Will the garmin 335 tray fit the height and width of that tray? I understand that it is a little over an inch deeper.
Hi John,

Yes, fortunately the GTX 320, GTX 327, GTX 330, and now the GTX 335/345 are all roughly 1.65" tall by 6.30" wide.

You should be able to install the new GTX rack in place of your GTX 320 rack if you have the depth.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:56 PM

Garmin Experts,

Configuration:

Garmin GTX 345 Transponder, Garmin 430W Nav/Com and a compatible mobile device (Ipad) running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight.

1. Can I push a flight plan from a compatible mobile device running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight to the Garmin 430W?

Thank you,
Old 02-11-2016, 03:42 PM

My setup:

GNS 480 and MX-20 display (basic, no chartview or old school traffic).

What are my options with the new transponders and Garmin Pilot? Can any of them be remote controlled by the 480 like the -330 can?

Thanks!

Flying a Warrior PA28-151 and a few RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)
Old 02-11-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I see in the wiring diagram you posted---and repeated below, that the data is transmitted via a rs 232 setup.

Is this data in some secret Garmin code, or is it something that is a standard format that other EFIS brands can understand??
Hello Mike,

The serial ports on the GTX 345 support a number of different serial formats - some new, some legacy, some only used by Garmin products, some by others.

If you review the "Compatibility" page on the GTX 345 web page, you will see that there is a "Display Compatibility" section that mentions traffic and weather outputs for 3rd party displays.

The traffic and weather supported by Foreflight mobile are even shown on that page.

Anyone considering interfacing to these transponders should review the available serial formats described in the installation manual and determine which are best for their needs.

Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
Well hello Steve from another Okie down south. In addition to Figg's questions about the 796, I have a similar situation but ever so slightly different. In my case, instead of running the 796 I am running a 695 that is hardwired to a GDL39. The GDL39 is feeding the 695 ADS-B In data in addition to feeding, via Bluetooth, that information to my Ipad. The 695 is feeding the GPS data to everything else in my panel. My big dilemma with 2020 compliance is getting a certified WAAS signal in my panel.
Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you again. About time for some more Kansas BBQ at K81 We-Be-Smokin on the way back from Oshkosh....

Quote:
[*]Am I correct in that the 345 will provide the necessary certifiable navigation WAAS GPS signal the FAA requires for 2020 compliance?
Yes, either the GTX 345 with GPS or the GTX 335 with GPS contain the built in 2020 compliant position source that is missing in your installation.

Quote:
[*]Will the 345 feed all ADS-B WX and Traffic information to the 695 and the Ipad? If so, will I be able to use the exisiting hard wire connections I have in place or will I be required to change out the existing hard wiring for something else?
The GPSMAP 695 doesn't currently interface to the GTX 345, and we aren't sure if there will be much demand since the GDL39 you have now provides the same ADS-B traffic and weather to your 695 and iPad. You could certainly consider installing a GTX 335 with GPS for ADS-B Out and keep your current dual frequency ADS-B in receiver. The GTX 335 with GPS is $3,795 and the GTX 345 with GPS is $5,795, so you can save $2K if you continue to use your existing GDL39 for ADS-B In.

Quote:
[*]Will the 345 feed all ADS-B In data (WX and Traffic) to Foreflight?
Yes, the GTX 345 includes a Bluetooth interface that is supported by Foreflight to receive traffic and weather.

Quote:
[*]There has been talk on here about legal navigation using a certified navigation instrument in order to comply with legal IFR filing. Could you expound upon the concept of the prospect of having a unit such as these new 'all-in-one' units providing that capability? Is this an unrealistic expectation, or is this a realistic possibility?
We don't currently see the FAR 91.227 compliant position source built into the transponder as satisfying the IFR flight requirements for a certified WAAS GPS IFR navigator like the GNS or GTN.

Steve
Old 02-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hello Mike,

The serial ports on the GTX 345 support a number of different serial formats - some new, some legacy, some only used by Garmin products, some by others.

Steve
Steve, thanks for the response-----appreciated it.

Methinks this broadens your potential customer base considerably. I know that if it would not interface with my GRT units, there is no way I would consider one-------as it is, I definitely need to take a closer look.

One more thing, it looks like this can be remote mounted and controlled through the GTN 650 like the 327--correct? Panel space is an issue for me.
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 02-11-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:19 PM

Default I think the price is a little too high...

Garmin,

I love this product. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping someone would come up with. The design looks great!

And I don't mean to be a smart aleck, but why do it cost so dang much? It cost $316 more than the three components it replaces. I would expect at least a little cost reduction, from consolidating three products into one. Fewer boxes, less packing material, less shipping, fewer components; enclosures, cables, brackets, chargers, manuals... Additionally it seems like the design activity should cost less because Garmin already has design expertise from developing each of the three predecessors.

GTX330ES ------ $3995
GPS 20A -------- $845
GDL 39 --------- $639
Total ----------- $5479

GTX 345 w/GPS $5795

Is this the introductory price? Would it cost less if there was a direct competitor?

Again, I don't mean to be disrespectful or rude. I just want to give some feedback and let you know that I think the price is a little on the high side.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you again. About time for some more Kansas BBQ at K81 We-Be-Smokin on the way back from Oshkosh....

Yes, either the GTX 345 with GPS or the GTX 335 with GPS contain the built in 2020 compliant position source that is missing in your installation.

The GPSMAP 695 doesn't currently interface to the GTX 345, and we aren't sure if there will be much demand since the GDL39 you have now provides the same ADS-B traffic and weather to your 695 and iPad. You could certainly consider installing a GTX 335 with GPS for ADS-B Out and keep your current dual frequency ADS-B in receiver. The GTX 335 with GPS is $3,795 and the GTX 345 with GPS is $5,795, so you can save $2K if you continue to use your existing GDL39 for ADS-B In.

Yes, the GTX 345 includes a Bluetooth interface that is supported by Foreflight to receive traffic and weather.

We don't currently see the FAR 91.227 compliant position source built into the transponder as satisfying the IFR flight requirements for a certified WAAS GPS IFR navigator like the GNS or GTN.

Steve
Steve, thanks for the info. All very good. As for the 695, maybe its time to think about upgrading.

And FYI, Figgs has placed on his new pilotsareus.com calendar a flight up to We-Be-Smokin on Feb 20th. If the WX is good I hope we can make it up that weekend. If you are around come out and join us that Saturday.
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 02-12-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Garmin Experts,

Configuration:

Garmin GTX 345 Transponder, Garmin 430W Nav/Com and a compatible mobile device (Ipad) running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight.

1. Can I push a flight plan from a compatible mobile device running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight to the Garmin 430W?

Thank you,
Hello Charlie,

You would need to install a Flight Stream 210 unit connected via hardwire to both the GNS and GTX 345 to be able to send flight plans to the GNS 430W.

The Flight Stream 210 will receive attitude, traffic, and weather from the GTX 345, so your mobile device would have just a single Bluetooth interface to receive this data and share flight plans.

When the Flight Stream 210 is installed, you will need to turn off the Bluetooth interface on the GTX 345.

Steve

Last edited by g3xpert : 02-12-2016 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Updated with answer.