Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2015, 10:03 AM

I'm not a builder, but one thing I wish my RV-8 had is an external power receptacle for jumping the battery or plugging into ground power for playing with avionics, etc. The battery in my 8 is pretty hard to get to and if I ever needed a jump it would be a bit of a project.
2017 dues paid!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojo View Post
I'm not a builder, but one thing I wish my RV-8 had is an external power receptacle for jumping the battery or plugging into ground power for playing with avionics, etc. The battery in my 8 is pretty hard to get to and if I ever needed a jump it would be a bit of a project.
Colojo,

That's a valid suggestion. A few years back, before I launched myself into building a RV, I saw on a builder site a guy doing this mod. I found it clever. I can't find this site anymore. I like the way he approached the problem by creating a connector box riveted to left side skin with an opening covered by a hatch door. He had put a skin doubler around the opening in the skin to restore the skin strenght.
I am tempted to do this mod. But much like the landing gear tower mod, i am nervous about cutting holes in primary structure without having the ability to do a stress analysis.
I will consider for sure!
RV-8 s/n #80414
Kitlog: http://www.mykitlog.com/MartRV80414/
Empennage: 95% (ready for inspection)
Fuselage: 90% (Canoe 2.0 in progress- Final Riveting)
Wings: Slow Build Wing Kit on the way from Van's - Delivery End Nov 17.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:03 AM

My battery is in the rear. I installed a ground power jack on the bottom of the fuselage below the battery tray. Bob Knuckolls has an excellent write up on how to fabricate and install a ground power jack, complete with over voltage protection. I used this quite a bit during the build to provide power. I have not had the need to use it to jump start the plane.

Keep in mind that you can't use this setup to charge the battery since a charger doesn't provide sufficient power to keep the solenoid engaged. I have a power outlet connected to my battery bus for this purpose.

Details on how to build and install a ground power jack can be found here: http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/grndpwr.pdf
TMX0360, Pmags, CS
Bridgewater, MA
KPYM
Old 08-01-2015, 11:22 AM

Default exhaust ramp

Replace the factory aluminum exhaust ramp with a removable stainless piece, similar to what DanH documented in this thread.
RV-8 Build Log
Old 08-01-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarmy View Post

Add a storage bin to the right side lower panel (same panel as the fuel selector on the left) I did this and use it all the time. Very handy.

I'm planning to do this for storage, but want to know if there are any gotchas on stuff routed underneath I'm not thinking about. How deep/tall is your bin?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-01-2015, 08:47 PM

I have a fairly large bundle of wire running underneath the box. I made the box out of fiberglass and riveted it to the top frame you can see in the picture. The box is deep enough to give about 1" of clearance at the front edge. The floor is sloping underneath so you get more clearance at the rear. One thing I had an issue with was clearance for the fuel line that goes through the side out to the wing. I ended up cutting a slot in the side of my box to make some room for it. You could adapt your shape to leave a bit more space on the right rear corner for that line. I wrapped my wire bundle with silicone tape just to make sure nothing rubbed on the bottom of the box. The box is about 4inches deep or so.

RV-8 - Flying!
RV-9A - sold

Nov 2017 Paid
Old 08-08-2015, 02:51 AM

Salut Martin,
J'espère que tu vas bien!!

I mostly agree with the suggestions made.
I didn't do an access to the instrument panel but will consider it.

I would definitely encourage the gear tower mod. Even with the larger access, it still is tight to get in there, but I have quite large hands...
I'm no engineer so I can't say how it influences the rigidity but I feel confident that with adding a cover held on by screws, the integrity of the assembly should be kept (if not increased?)

The Andair fuel selector is a winner for sure, you will have to make a new bracket and modify slightly the cover.
This is a Duplex model for full fuel return to the tanks:

Grove gear is also highly praised, I ordered the airfoiled model, not received yet though.

Amuse-toi bien !!!

RV-8 n° 83274
Empennage done(90%)
SB Wings done (90%)
SB Fuselage in progress
Pre-closure inspection done
Old 08-08-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseric View Post
Grove gear is also highly praised, I ordered the airfoiled model, not received yet though.
Take my advice: as soon as you get them; prime them! I ordered them early and didn't protect them. Had a big corrosion-removal job later on...
http://www.preou.com
http://www.kitlog.com/users/index.php?user=jpreou
Old 08-09-2015, 01:08 AM

Agreed. Great advice.
The day my gear arrived was quite hot. I opened the crate and lifted one leg out to inspect it and then put it back. Three days later I get back to the hangar and the gear leg I handled has corrosion from sweaty hand prints starting.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 08-09-2015, 07:50 AM

@Jeff & Sam,
Thanks for the advice !! Will do that !!

RV-8 n° 83274
Empennage done(90%)
SB Wings done (90%)
SB Fuselage in progress
Pre-closure inspection done