VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-24-2015, 12:59 PM
dynonsupport's Avatar
dynonsupport dynonsupport is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 1,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy2110 View Post
I had a conversation with a Dynon Dev at OSH in 2013 and they said all that's needed for IFR is a WAAS certified GPS to drive the Skyview.
Just to be clear, we mean an IFR navigator, not just a GPS position source. You need something like an Avidyne 540 or Garmin GTN/GNS.
__________________
_______________________
Dynon Avionics
support@dynonavionics.com
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Bill_H's Avatar
Bill_H Bill_H is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peel, AR
Posts: 1,760
Default

Interesting. The Van's Pilot Operating Handbook applies to the ELSA supplied in the kit. If I then modify my ELSA I am entitled, even required (?), to modify my POH as needed. (For example, when I install the Bender Baffle I will add a section on it into the POH.) If that modification is to add equipment needed for IFR, then I modify that statement in the POH. My operating restrictions do not preclude flight into IMC if the plane is so equipped.

Contrary opinions?

Oh - by light IFR (I KNOW the term is undefined!) - it has always been my preference to file IFR regardless of the weather for most cross-country flights. (Particularly when I used to operate out of the Houston Class B.) Just makes things so much easier. For my RV12 with autopilot and ADSB I would have no qualms about enroute IFR (non-convective) conditions or even ILS approaches if I added that capability. Certainly a more capable platform than the typical 172/PA28 I used to fly with six-pack avionics.

With a brand new Garmin Com radio - and a backup hand-held King, that seems OK.
__________________
Bill H, RV12, N412BR "Sweetie", Skyview-equipped, Call sign Robot
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2015, 03:23 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 6,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_H View Post
Interesting. The Van's Pilot Operating Handbook applies to the ELSA supplied in the kit. If I then modify my ELSA I am entitled, even required (?), to modify my POH as needed. (For example, when I install the Bender Baffle I will add a section on it into the POH.) If that modification is to add equipment needed for IFR, then I modify that statement in the POH. My operating restrictions do not preclude flight into IMC if the plane is so equipped.

Contrary opinions?
The only requirement (currently anyway) regarding the POH is that Van's supply it to you with the kit.
After that, it is up to you what you do with it.

On an S-LSA, The POH is a required item that must be in the cockpit during flight. For E-LSA (experimental) that requirement does not apply.

As for IFR, currently an S-LSA can not be approved unless the manufacturer (or other OEM's related to the aircraft) have approved it (remember it is a certified aircraft to some level). Rotax specifically prohibits IFR with their engine unless it is the certificated version.
This does not apply to an E-LSA RV-12. It is no different than any other experimental. If it is properly equipped, it can be used for IFR.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2015, 03:27 PM
DonFromTX's Avatar
DonFromTX DonFromTX is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Feria Texas
Posts: 3,517
Default

Interesting and appealing Bill. I am thinking that you would NOT have to be IFR current or rated even, since you are not actually flying IMC? Is that correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_H View Post
Interesting.
Contrary opinions?
Oh - by light IFR (I KNOW the term is undefined!) - it has always been my preference to file IFR regardless of the weather for most cross-country flights. (Particularly when I used to operate out of the Houston Class B.) Just makes things so much easier. For my RV12 with autopilot and ADSB I would have no qualms about enroute IFR (non-convective) conditions or even ILS approaches if I added that capability. Certainly a more capable platform than the typical 172/PA28 I used to fly with six-pack avionics.

With a brand new Garmin Com radio - and a backup hand-held King, that seems OK.
__________________
AF1 (was RV12) EAB Air Force One, SN 461, N461DG VIKING/HONDA ENGINE POWERED! AND N756TS ROTAX POWERED
A&P, PP-SEL, Pathological Flier, EAA Technical Counselor
EAA Chapter 595 President,http://www.595.eaachapter.org/index.htm
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Bill_H's Avatar
Bill_H Bill_H is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peel, AR
Posts: 1,760
Default

It is my understanding that you must be both RATED and CURRENT in order to accept (as PIC) an IFR clearance and/or operate under Instrument Flight Rules, regardless of the weather conditions. That was certainly the case a few years ago, see part 61. Perhaps 61.3 unless it has been changed.

Last edited by Bill_H : 02-24-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:08 PM
rolivi's Avatar
rolivi rolivi is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 402
Default Upping to IFR on an RV

This is basically the same thread so I hope I'm not a thread-jacker.

I'm buying an RV-6A that currently has a D100, a navaid devices autopilot, another device for for altitude hold....

I'm thinking of adding a Garmin 300XL (approach certified non-WAAS GPS) and a VAL NAV 2000.

I think these two additions would make it legal for IFR.

My goals for IFR are to be able to punch out, fly above the weather, and then descend to my personal minimums (which are about double published mins)

I don't want to bump it out in the soup for long periods, but I also don't want to be grounded as often as I am currently.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:29 PM
flyinga flyinga is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericksburg, TX
Posts: 441
Default

61.3 (e). You are correct; you must be rated and current to fly IFR (not IMC).

Be careful when planning "light" IFR. You may plan to fly on top at 5000' but ATC may limit you to 4000' which is right in the soup. You need to be able to fly in "hard" IMC.
__________________
Jim Averett
RV-8
TS36 - Silver Wings
Fredericksburg, TX
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 PM
andyrv andyrv is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 230
Default Need GPS?

Be careful if you are looking at a nav/com only without certified GPS to get IFR capabilities.

I live in McKinney, TX and got my Instrument Rating this past fall. The two airports closest to me (KTKI, KGYI) where I would go if I needed an IFR approach at home along with Johnson County Executive (KOJC) where I go fairly often all require ADF for the ILS. A lot of other ILS approaches I looked at required ADF or DME.

Even the VOR approach at KTKI needs a DME (or cert GPS). They killed the VOR at KOJC now so the VOR approach there is gone. I now have a GTN 650 in the RV because I ran into this problem on just about every trip I planned last fall after getting my rating.

Thought about using the RV for IFR training (pre GTN) and I would have to go a long way to find airports with 3 different type approaches I could fly (ILS, VOR, LOC) that did not require either ADF or DME in the notes on the approach plate.

Andy
__________________
Andy Cobb
RV-7A
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 AM
waterboy2110 waterboy2110 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynonsupport View Post
Just to be clear, we mean an IFR navigator, not just a GPS position source. You need something like an Avidyne 540 or Garmin GTN/GNS.
I'd be concerned about the power consumption. I'd assume that the ship runs at 80% of max which I've read is around 20A for the internal alternator. The SL 40 is about 3A max while the GTN will peak at around 6A - again, from a quick read of the IM's on line.

There is an external alternator option for the 912 which appears to produce 45A.

Of course - all this is going to weigh more.
__________________
http://jimsrv.blogspot.com
PP - ASEL
Instrument Rating
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 PM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 4,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy2110 View Post
I'd be concerned about the power consumption. I'd assume that the ship runs at 80% of max which I've read is around 20A for the internal alternator. The SL 40 is about 3A max while the GTN will peak at around 6A - again, from a quick read of the IM's on line.

There is an external alternator option for the 912 which appears to produce 45A.

Of course - all this is going to weigh more.
I think those are intermittant loads, only while transmitting. No problem with letting the battery carry the extra load for the few seconds you are transmitting.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.