- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 06:44 PM

Default Equipping an RV-12 for light IFR

So - given a Skyview-equipped RV12 (with lights and autopilot) what needs to be added for light IFR?

Is the need:
VOR
Localizer
Glideslope
Marker Beacon (?)
WAAS GPS

Obviously a used Garmin 430 with additional nav and com antenna would do it. Any cheaper alternatives?

Heating the standard pitot is, I assume, impossible. If a heated pitot is desired, a wing pitot would be needed and that would be a real stress on the power budget.

It's been a decade since I flew IFR. So, am I missing anything or mentioning anything that is obsolete?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:57 PM

Well, for "light" ifr-whatever that is- if you got a Garmin 400w you could delete everything else on your list. But I suggest you read the current thread, "Do I still need an independent backup AI (for ifr)?".

Last edited by BobTurner : 02-09-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 PM

A heated pitot is in the FARs for IFR, so you must put one on. This is a serious challenge with a 912 alternator. A heated pitot is 10A, or 1/2 the alternator output.

Besides that, if you have SkyView, all you need is a approved navigational source. VOR works, a C145 GPS works. It comes down to what kind of approaches you want to do.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:09 PM

Default I don't think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan1976 View Post
A heated pitot is in the FARs for IFR, so you must put one on.
o.
Please state what FAR. It may be wise to have one, but it isn't in 91.205. Likewise 91.205 doesn't require backups, alternate/backup power, etc. But it might be a good idea.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 PM

For basic IFR, it is my understanding that you could replace the SL-40 with an SL-30. Your primary navigational/approach capability would be VOR/LOC/ILS using the SL-30 with SV's non-IFR-approved GPS as "advisory". Of course you could spend more and get an IFR-approved GPS such as the Garmin 430W, etc and then be IFR/GPS capable.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 540+ hours (as of Sept 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 PM

Bob,
You are absolutely right. I was thinking of part 23, not 91. Thanks for the correction.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 AM

I found a relatively inexpensive VOR/GS/MKR BCN by VAL electronics at Aircraft Spruce. It was about $1600 plus antennas and signal splitter. Not cheap but a deal compared to other units that sell OBS and receiver separately. With that and a current IFR pitot static check I should be legal for IFR.

The POH prohibits flight into IMC, but my Operating Limits permit it if equipped, and my discussions with my DAR confirmed my interpretation. However, my intent is not to fly IMC, but merely to be legal to file IFR into congested areas like SOCAL. Being in the system greatly simplifies flying in the LA basin.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Please state what FAR. It may be wise to have one, but it isn't in 91.205. Likewise 91.205 doesn't require backups, alternate/backup power, etc. But it might be a good idea.
The only time I heard about the requirement for heated Pitot was from a guy that wanted to sell it to me. Same myth about static wicks.
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:05 PM

I had a conversation with a Dynon Dev at OSH in 2013 and they said all that's needed for IFR is a WAAS certified GPS to drive the Skyview. Also, I think the Rotax is NOT certified for IFR but comments in this forum seem to lean towards making any mode and calling it experimental.
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Default IMC Prohibited per POH posted 2/9/15

I was just reviewing the latest RV-12 document updates and noticed that a new POH was posted 2/9/15 that applies to SLSA & ELSA aircraft.

On the Revisions page, it lists adding the wording "Flight into IMC Prohibited" in 2 places in the POH. So unless you're going E-AB, you can fly IFR as long as you don't fly into IMC conditions. So if by Light IFR you mean IFR in VMC conditions, you're OK.
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX