- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2014, 08:57 PM

Randy,
I have replaced a number of EGT probes due to the poorly crimped connectors. My final solution is to crimp and solder new connectors. No soldered connector has failed as of yet.
I don't have the 12's hub but after installing the Dynon Knob panel it failed after a couple hours (went to full bright, then out). About 15 minutes later I got the backup network error message. Once on the ground, a system detect did not show the Knob or either a/p servo. Moved cables around, plugged, unplugged, sometimes would detect the servos, sometimes not, never the Knob. Even borrowed a computer network cable at the FBO to test. Finally satisfied myself the failed Knob panel and not cables or connections was the cause. Dynon replaced the main board in the panel. All is well.
My conclusion is a failure in one part may give a faulty indication elsewhere. Beg, borrow or steal an EMS unit from someone and see if your problem goes away. No, try another ADAHARS. Or display.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 PM

We've gt about 130 hours on ours and we've begun to get get oil and gas pressure warnings screaming in our ears. The gauges are also starting to show 'erratic' readings. We've tested the oil pressure and the gas pressure so I know that part's okay. Not sure what to do next.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM

Try this. Easy and cheap. Could not hurt and would be a great data point if your problem was solved. http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...&postcount=240
Old 12-04-2014, 06:04 AM

Default Problem Solved!

Well I've finally put to bed the electrical gremlins that have been dogging me for the past couple of months. The short answer is that the EMS module had a couple of faulty IC chips in it.

Now for the editorial. Turn off now if you're not interested.

While I have no issues with Dynon's final resolution to the issue, I do have a problem with how long it took me to convince them that it was their module and not my wiring. I guess I understand their position. They are dealing with unknown construction techniques and a ton of builder variables so it's logical that they would suspect the installation. I get that. But at some point, you have to believe me when I tell you that I've checked the connectors, pins, backshells, harnesses, etc. The service technician would actually argue with me on the phone about it. If not for a software update failure I would STILL be living with the problems. I eventually became very frustrated with dealing with them on the telephone and found them to be of little help once I got past their initial remedial solutions. I was left on my own to debug a system where there's nothing but wires running to black boxes.

And there in lies the real problem. Once you've determined that the wiring is okay, there are precious few tools remaining to help you figure out the problem. While the wiring hub that Van's provides has enormous benefits in terms of quality and time to build, it does complicate the debugging process. I'd sure like to see some diagnostic software for the Dynon that could help pinpoint hardware defects more easily.

My advice to others is if you start to experience problems and you've eliminated the sensor or the wiring, get a RMA number from Dynon and send the unit in to them to have it checked out. You can run around in circles for months.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 12-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocket View Post

My advice to others is if you start to experience problems and you've eliminated the sensor or the wiring, get a RMA number from Dynon and send the unit in to them to have it checked out. You can run around in circles for months.
Excellent advice. I had a problem with my EMS starting on the first flight. The symptoms were probably more telling than yours: interference between the PTT switch and the EGT readings. Once aware of this issue Dynon did not argue and asked me to send my EMS module back. Because of this I am more positive than you are about Dynon's support but you explained well Dynon's position regarding home built airplanes. May be my advice to Dynon would be to be more liberal in allowing RMAs as there means of testing are better than ours. Getting a "black box" out of suspicion would greatly help troubleshooting.

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114

Last edited by WingedFrog : 12-04-2014 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-04-2014, 09:33 AM

I feel your pain, Randy! Been there, done that.
Very glad to hear that you finally nailed it down and have a working system now!
RV-12: #120374, ELSA, N128TL flying since Nov 28, 2013 (Phase 1 completed 1/26/14)
SkyView, Light Package, ADSB
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/
APRS Track
dues paid Nov '16
Old 09-13-2016, 03:51 PM

Default Gremlins: EGT and PTT

I'm not at all comfortable at reading electrical diagrams and so maybe the answer to my question is there, I just don't know how to read it. Here's the question: When I press my mic button (PTT), my EGT displays start doing the pogo-stick imitation and jump up and down. This is true for either the pilot or co-pilot. When the PTT is released, the jumping stops and the EGTs read normally. I have the pre-08-25-11 wiring harness for the Skyview.

I've needed to replace both EGT probes some time ago and have experienced good performance since.

When I study the electrical schematic, I see no reference to EGT wiring and could use the help of this group to know where to go next.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old 09-13-2016, 06:50 PM

Scott Lane,
The problem could be grounding. Make sure there is no paint under the battery ring terminal where it bolts to the airframe. And make sure that the engine is well grounded to the same point and that the crimps are secure with no corrosion. Below is a quote from the Dynon D-180 installation manual. It also applies to the Skyview. Turn on ALL electrical loads during the test.
Also check the radio antenna coax cable and the antenna mounting for ground connection.
Quote:
Because of the current drawn by the FlightDEK-D180, even very small resistances between battery ground and instrument ground can cause voltage differences which adversely affect engine sensor readings. An easy way to test the quality of the instrument’s ground is to measure voltage between the ground pin at the FlightDEK-D180 and the ground lead at your aircraft’s battery. With the FlightDEK-D180 powered on, connect one lead of your voltmeter to a free ground lead coming from the FlightDEK-D180. Connect the other lead of your voltmeter to the ground terminal of your battery. The voltage between these two points should measure very close to 0 mV (within 5 mV). If it does not, you must improve the ground connection between the ground of your battery and that of your avionics bus.

Last edited by Mich48041 : 09-13-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:05 PM

Default Gremlin Test later this week

Thanks Joe!
I'll test this out when I can get to the hangar later this week, and report findings back here. Still curious though about EGT not showing on the electrical schematic.
Scott
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 PM

Dynon had some EMS units that had need to be returned.
Experiencing the same issue, I sent mine to them, and after return, no issues. That was about two years ago, but you know how time flies.

Larry Vandegrift
ULPower 260is, dual ECUs, dual 30 amp alternators