- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocket View Post
On the network error, this doesn't have anything to do with the servos. My harnesses were built this year in February so they are the latest. It's telling me that it's having trouble communicating with the EMS module. I "suspect" that I may be putting too much strain on an end wire (terminal 1) and that is causing the intermittent problem. The manual is not clear on this problem and I may need to talk to Dynon to make sure I am debugging this correctly.
Not criticizing your debugging, but I would not jump to conclusions from what the SV tells you about where it thinks the error is. It took me weeks of chasing my gremlins and it's too long to type it up again (it's all in my blog) but the zest is, when my servo was bad it never showed anything related to the servo being wrong. The symptom was that the ADAHRS disappeared from the bus, so the indication was that there might be something wrong with the ADAHRS, right? Wrong! It only happened when the faulty servo was on the bus. The servo itself was doing just fine but it caused the ADAHRS (oh, and also the EMS) to disappear from the bus.

What you deduct from this for your case is up to you.
RV-12: #120374, ELSA, N128TL flying since Nov 28, 2013 (Phase 1 completed 1/26/14)
SkyView, Light Package, ADSB
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/
APRS Track
dues paid Nov '16
Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 PM

I had a similar problem on my Skyview - EMS220 with an intermittent standby network error on 4/8. Pins 4 and 8 are network 2 A and B on the 9 pin connector. The problem ended up being pin 4 in the EMS side cable connector was not fully seated (locked) in the connector housing and would push in when the connector was plugged in. The cable rang out fine with the pin on a test lead I was using, but I happened to notice the socket did not look the same as the others. After removing the cover, the wire and socket pulled out with no resistance. No further problems since making sure the socket was locked in position.

John Salak
RV12 #120116, N896HS
Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPara View Post
Not criticizing your debugging, but I would not jump to conclusions from what the SV tells you about where it thinks the error is. It took me weeks of chasing my gremlins and it's too long to type it up again (it's all in my blog) but the zest is, when my servo was bad it never showed anything related to the servo being wrong. The symptom was that the ADAHRS disappeared from the bus, so the indication was that there might be something wrong with the ADAHRS, right? Wrong! It only happened when the faulty servo was on the bus. The servo itself was doing just fine but it caused the ADAHRS (oh, and also the EMS) to disappear from the bus.

What you deduct from this for your case is up to you.
Thanks. I didn't connect the dots that the problem was showing one thing but was really something else. I'm going to PM you my contact info. would you mind calling me at your convenience so I can pick your brain? I looked at your blog but could not find the relevant post(s) regarding this issue. If you could point me to the right spot, I'll read up on what you wrote about the issue. Thank you so much for your help.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 09-20-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vaitor View Post
I had a similar problem on my Skyview - EMS220 with an intermittent standby network error on 4/8. Pins 4 and 8 are network 2 A and B on the 9 pin connector. The problem ended up being pin 4 in the EMS side cable connector was not fully seated (locked) in the connector housing and would push in when the connector was plugged in. The cable rang out fine with the pin on a test lead I was using, but I happened to notice the socket did not look the same as the others. After removing the cover, the wire and socket pulled out with no resistance. No further problems since making sure the socket was locked in position.

John Salak
RV12 #120116, N896HS
Thanks John. I am hoping that when I look at the connectors, it's a pin problem. Nice to know that someone else has seen the same thing.

Paid through 2043!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:56 AM

Default Here's a New One

Here's something else that I just discovered. I'm not sure it's supposed to work this way but maybe.

With the strobe/nav light switch in the middle, and I presume OFF, position, my interior light comes on BUT my right green position light has the two forward LEDs on in a subdued tone. The left position light is completely off. With the strobes ON or the strobe/position light ON, the interior light is OFF.

This is weird. Not sure why it would work this way. It seems I've never been lousier at wiring an airplane until I started using someone else's harnesses.

Paid through 2043!

Old 09-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Default Fuel flow to zero

Randy,
I've been following your posts because I too had my fuel flow (gals/hr) go to zero last Wednesday. My observation was low fuel flow after a couple of turns about a point, left and right, during a 45 minute flight to a nearby airport for breakfast. On the return leg I continued to monitor the fuel flow and this was the only reading which was acting up.

I did a few more turns around a point and noted the fuel flow go to zero and return only a couple of times, but it was only .2 or so.

After I was back in the hangar I turned on the master and sumped some fuel from the gascolator and got the fuel flow to respond up to about 3.4. It would then go back down to 1.7 or so when I stopped. Sump again and again good flow reading up, stopped and it returned to 1.7 again. I let it sit for a couple of hours and tried it again and things appeared to be back to normal.

Saturday I remained in the pattern and did a series of touch and goes, and the fuel flow was back to normal. I have read the "red cube" has a rather delicate impeller inside and can be adversely effected by a small partial of debris. I do not know what happened to get this intermittent dead spot but it is always disconcerting to read about the electrical issues you and others have experienced. But I am glad these forums are available to share experiences. It sounds like you have some ideas of where to check on your other issues, but this was mine and fuel flow to zero issue.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 09-21-2014, 05:44 PM

Thanks Patrick.

I have fixed the EGT issue, at least for now. One of the female spade connectors was too loose and didn't engage the male spade very tightly. I squeezed it and re-assembled. Again, I do not like these connectors at all but I didn't feel like I hade enough slack to cut them off and replace them with blade connectors. I'll leave it like this for now but if the problem re-occurs, I'll do the replacement.

I have also corrected the "Backup Network Error", again for now. I pulled apart the connector to the EMS unit and thought the strain relief was too tight and pulling on the #1 wire, which is where the fault was noted. I checked the pins in the connector and they seemed fine so I re-assembled and tested it. So far no error. Not sure I really fixed anything so I guess I'll see if it reappears.

I'm working on the red cube error. I'll check continuity first and if that's good, I'll remove the unit and clean it.

Paid through 2043!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 AM

I'll call you, Randy. As a primer, here are the direct links. It was a long story, so it's quite a read if you follow it from the first issue through the whole way until the culprit was found.

Oldest entry to newest:
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/20...s-problem.html
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/20...e-ordered.html
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/20...new-servo.html
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/20...-and-ugly.html

and the resolution of some more Dynon woes later in the build (temp sensor readout failure due to ADAHRS unit):
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/20...s-repairs.html
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/20...-replaced.html

Hope this helps...
RV-12: #120374, ELSA, N128TL flying since Nov 28, 2013 (Phase 1 completed 1/26/14)
SkyView, Light Package, ADSB
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/
APRS Track
dues paid Nov '16

Last edited by MacPara : 09-22-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added another link
Old 09-27-2014, 09:35 AM

Well I'm another week into ripping out my electrical componentry and not really that much closer to fixing all the problems. I think we are beginning to see the downside of creating wiring harnesses and hubs for the masses. They work great when they work great. If you have a problem, good luck tracing it back. All the wires disappear into the hub. Here's the current status.

The EGT issue reared up again this morning while I was testing out a fix for another problem. Time to cut off the connectors. I moved the probe connections from one side to the other and the problem followed along so I'm pretty sure it's not the probe. I'll eliminate the connectors as a problem this time and try again.

The fuel flow issue was resolved by replacing the Red Cube. Cost $150 from Spruce but I see that Dynon warranties the sending units for a year. I probably can't get reimbursed because I took the old Red Cube apart to see how it works. Anyway, I connected up the new one and test ran the engine, and the fuel flow returned. At least I have one thing fixed.

The network error remains. I talked to Torsten about the issues he had. Thanks Torsten. I have checked the harness as much as I can. I've removed pins, reseated them, etc. and the problem persists. As in Torsten's case, I suspect the problem is in another component but can't really prove it. I talked to Dynon support and Keith was less than helpful. I understand their position, but I'm now pretty sure that it's not a wiring issue.

I am now getting an intermittent failure of the EMS on my display. Maybe this is from screwing around with the wiring so much, or maybe the problem is in the EMS unit. Right now, I suspect the EMS so I've asked Dynon for a return authorization so I can ship the EMS module back to them for check out.

So I'm still all apart in the hangar as some of the best Fall flying weather goes by. I'm itching to make a trip out to the East coast before winter and I need to go to Florida to take my Repairman's class in Sebring. Hopefully Dynon can shed a little light on the problem or perhaps, the mystery will continue.

Stand by for more updates as I learn more.

Paid through 2043!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Another week gone by and at least I am back in the air (for now). Fuel flow fixed. Network error remains but I'm reasonably sure it's one of the autopilot servos or the wiring runs to them. I cut the network lines where they branch off the EFIS-EMS harness and the network error disappeared. Of course, I then had a bunch of autopilot error messages.

I re-connected the wires and buttoned it up. I'm going to fly with it for a while until I do an annual this winter sometime and then, I will track down the specific component.

Dynon, while trying to accommodate me, has been somewhat less than forthcoming with data. For example, I specifically asked them if a component failure somewhere else (AP servo) could cause the EFIS to think the error is somewhere else. I got a lot of gobbledygook but no direct answer. They have been willing for me to send back any component I think is failing and they will test it for me and ship it back, so that is about all I can expect from them until I can give them some specific screen prints as I debug things.

Just hope you never see the dreaded "Backup Network Error".

Paid through 2043!