- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hill View Post
Hi Russ

The 8 spar was altered only in a minor way, and is substantially same design as 3/4/6/7.

My post was not directed at whether RV-4 aeros 2 up is good / legal. It was purely directed at the idea of discounting wing fuel for aeros weight purposes.

Are you suggesting the RV-8 change, and the RV-4 wing differences, are such that pulling excess 'g' with full fuel will still see the wings fold at the root and not mid-span?
Cant say, aerobatics to me is not excess Gs, all my acro is done well within the gross weight G limit, not interested in going out and pulling 6 Gs by my self or with a GIB, I can get it all done at 2.5 Gs 3 max. Good Judgment combined with skill.

If someones idea of two up acro is pulling 6 Gs or their skill level requires that or more to bail out of a mistake then this is the wrong airplane.
We build many of your RV weldments.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 PM

Default A great point

about the parachute, which I do wear for aerobatics....with my helmet, another five pounds.....
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 PM

Default Go Solo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY6584 View Post
I'm interested in purchasing an RV-4. It will primarily be used for fast economical x-country transportation, but occasionally I'd like to take some friends up to do some aerobatics.

Is that even possible? I'm 200lbs so is it possible to perform aerobatics with a rear passenger and if so what kind of weight will that person be limited to and what kind of fuel load will I be limited to?

Thanks!
I built my 4 back in 89' and flew it for 15 years while flying the F16 as a day job. Since mine was light (920 lbs) and a wood prop, aft CG limits were easily attained. I set my max pax weight at 180 lbs and no dual aerobatics, period. Back in the day Van posted all the RV fatal crashes in the RV8R newsletter. The only RV4 crashes I remember reading were all the same two causes, low fly-by's and dual aerobatics, spin into terra firma. Consider the RV4 a solo acro airplane you can give girls and kids a ride in occasionally.

My dos centavos...

V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 05-19-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 AM

Smokey, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of this plane. Do you by chance have those articles still? Those newsletters with the fatal RV-4 crashes seem like they would have some good lessons learned.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 AM

Smokey,

Ditto with hthe interest in the articles on the crash. Especially interested in any loss of control articles in the 4. I have had my 4 for under two years and 200hours in her, still lots of room to learn.

Especially interested in your thoughts on 2 up spins.

From Afghanistan,

Paul
RV-4 / PA28-180
Old 05-28-2014, 02:23 AM

Default Smokey

Thats very good advice from Smokey! My rear seat passenger limit is similar to his. The aeroplane is far more pitch sensitive with 180 lbs in the back seat

I can keep inside Vans aerobatic limits with me, my wife and 10 gallons each side. However, I doubt I would ever do aeros with her, as Smokey says aero solo and give the pretty lady the occasional ride.

Life is short, I want as much time flying as I can before I grow my own wings.

You can't squeeze a quart out of a pint pot!!

Steve Arnold
England

In completion stage of Loehle P5151
Built and now Flying G.BVLR Vans RV4
Rebuilt G.BDBD Tailwind
Rebuilt G BVTN Kitfox
Built G CDCD RV9A with WAM120
Riveted wings on Glastar G.LEZZ Now (G. SKUA)
Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 AM

Default Australian RV4 accident

I can help with the investigation report.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24397/...701033_001.pdf

Take care, Ray

7A QB #2169

Onto last fuselage details now (bl**dy canopy nearly finished me)

Financial to end 2015
Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Default Rv8r

http://www.actechbooks.com/products/act002/
Privileged to explore the world in the venerable Lockheed C-130 and the regions around NC in a work-in-progress RV-4, kit #2614.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:12 PM

Default RV-4 Aerobatics

Have owned an RV-4 for some years now and I will ditto what Paul & Smokey said. Do not do aerobatics in a -4 with a passenger, PERIOD. Can you get away with it most of the time- probably. But you need to do a risk assessment and decide if the few minutes of fun are worth the alternative of an early entry to the pearly gates (or somehere else depending how wild you are).

"Gentleman" aerobatics are not the same as rolling maneuvers. You can do aileron and barrel rolls all day long with a passenger. Due to weight and/or CG issues (depending on your specific engine/prop combo) it is just not prudent to subject youurself or your passenger to the inherent risk of dual aerobatics in an airplane not designed for it.

We like our RV community and would like to see your smiling face at future events. Do not take this advice lightly.

Oly
"Sure is nice to have smart friends"
Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
Have owned an RV-4 for some years now and I will ditto what Paul & Smokey said. Do not do aerobatics in a -4 with a passenger, PERIOD. Can you get away with it most of the time- probably. But you need to do a risk assessment and decide if the few minutes of fun are worth the alternative of an early entry to the pearly gates (or somehere else depending how wild you are).

"Gentleman" aerobatics are not the same as rolling maneuvers. You can do aileron and barrel rolls all day long with a passenger. Due to weight and/or CG issues (depending on your specific engine/prop combo) it is just not prudent to subject youurself or your passenger to the inherent risk of dual aerobatics in an airplane not designed for it.

We like our RV community and would like to see your smiling face at future events. Do not take this advice lightly.

Oly
Rolls of any sort are aerobatics and yes many are very gentlemanly.
We build many of your RV weldments.