VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 AM

Default Aileron stall buffet

I know it has been adresses before and the general response was roll slower. But has anyone come up with a fix such as a flexible gap seal on the wing in front of the aileron? I was thinking of taping some very thin UHMW tape to the wing and letting it lay against the aileron to see if the airflow over the bottom and top of the aileron could be improved and eliminate the buffet... Like a gap seal
What do you think,
That little tapping feeling only becomes an issue in double rolls perhaps because my airspeed has decreased.
Also thought about vortex generators installed just adhead of the aileron.
Jack
Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
Jack & Anita Hunt
N507H
KJZP Jasper, Georgia
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 AM

Why is it a problem? Just curious.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 AM

It probably is not a problem. I just don't care for the tap tap in the contrail stick that I can feel during the roll.
J
Jack & Anita Hunt
N507H
KJZP Jasper, Georgia
Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 AM

Maybe it's suggesting not to apply full aileron above Va
RV8tors
Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Whatever. Do not put on gap seals. The frieze aileron is designed to have this gap. There have been several attempts at gap sealing the aileron with bad results
Old 01-20-2014, 04:36 AM

Andy,
Usually I am well below 142 mph and it only happens rolling right. I am taking some measurements and will see if I can find a difference.
Thanks
Jack
Jack & Anita Hunt
N507H
KJZP Jasper, Georgia
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gereed75 View Post
Whatever. Do not put on gap seals. The frieze aileron is designed to have this gap. There have been several attempts at gap sealing the aileron with bad results
I've never seen RV ailerons taped, but the Pitts S-1S has Frise ailerons, and taping the gap - i.e. laying 3" wide tape on the top of the wing/aileron gap makes a significant improvement in roll rate, aileron feel, and also reduces stick force slightly. I've flown mine both ways and it felt like a different airplane without the ailerons taped. I don't know anything about attempting to gap seal RV ailerons. What were these "bad results"? Just curious. I too, had previously thought the Frise aileron was aided by airflow through the gap, but that seems not necessarily the case.

Last edited by sandifer : 01-20-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM

"Gap Seals" has been discussed as a performance topic here on the forums ...

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=103202
Old 07-11-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandifer View Post
I've never seen RV ailerons taped, but the Pitts S-1S has Frise ailerons, and taping the gap - i.e. laying 3" wide tape on the top of the wing/aileron gap makes a significant improvement in roll rate, aileron feel, and also reduces stick force slightly. I've flown mine both ways and it felt like a different airplane without the ailerons taped. I don't know anything about attempting to gap seal RV ailerons. What were these "bad results"? Just curious. I too, had previously thought the Frise aileron was aided by airflow through the gap, but that seems not necessarily the case.
I'm having a very slow rate on my RV7A (even compared to my former RV9A) and some buffet when rolling. Even under 140mph. So I will try to tape the gap. Can you provide me with some pictures from your settings or instruction of which tape to use or how to do it (links to the product) - I'm in Brazil not that easy to find good tapes here. Any help will be nice!
Lycoming 180 HP - YIO-360-M1B, Hartzell C2YR-1BFP/F7497 72, Garmin panel - G3X Touch, GTN650, GTS800, WX-500, BATT CONCORDE RG-25XC AEROBATIC SEALED.
-------------
Others: RV9A
Lycoming XIO320-D1A, Hartzell HC-C2YL-1BF/F7663-4 , CS GOVERNOR MTV-12-B, DYNON D180
AND GARMIN AVIONICS
(Sold with aprox 300hrs flown from Dec/2010 -- JUN/2014)
Old 07-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMARTON View Post
I'm having a very slow rate on my RV7A (even compared to my former RV9A) and some buffet when rolling. Even under 140mph. So I will try to tape the gap. Can you provide me with some pictures from your settings or instruction of which tape to use or how to do it (links to the product) - I'm in Brazil not that easy to find good tapes here. Any help will be nice!
I recommend you that you do not tape the gap. A frise style aileron is designed to have airflow between the wing and the aileron.

I think you should look at your problem in a different way.....
If there is 9000+ RV's flying.... with good aileron response (without sealing the gap).... wouldn't it be better to figure out what is different about your airplane from all the rest?

I suggest you start with reading the portion of the current Section 5 of the construction manual regarding proper trailing edge shape of control surfaces.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")