VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 AM
Smilin' Jack Smilin' Jack is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cumming, Georgia
Posts: 822
Default Aileron stall buffet

I know it has been adresses before and the general response was roll slower. But has anyone come up with a fix such as a flexible gap seal on the wing in front of the aileron? I was thinking of taping some very thin UHMW tape to the wing and letting it lay against the aileron to see if the airflow over the bottom and top of the aileron could be improved and eliminate the buffet... Like a gap seal
What do you think,
That little tapping feeling only becomes an issue in double rolls perhaps because my airspeed has decreased.
Also thought about vortex generators installed just adhead of the aileron.
Jack
__________________
Smilin' Jack
EAA690 /WB4JKY
APRS
Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
Jack & Anita Hunt
N507H
KJZP Jasper, Georgia
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Low Pass's Avatar
Low Pass Low Pass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,839
Default

Why is it a problem? Just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Smilin' Jack Smilin' Jack is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cumming, Georgia
Posts: 822
Default

It probably is not a problem. I just don't care for the tap tap in the contrail stick that I can feel during the roll.
J
__________________
Smilin' Jack
EAA690 /WB4JKY
APRS
Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
Jack & Anita Hunt
N507H
KJZP Jasper, Georgia
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Andy Hill's Avatar
Andy Hill Andy Hill is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 976
Default

Maybe it's suggesting not to apply full aileron above Va
__________________
Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV-3B G-HILI very slow build
RV8tors
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 PM
gereed75 gereed75 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 485
Default

Whatever. Do not put on gap seals. The frieze aileron is designed to have this gap. There have been several attempts at gap sealing the aileron with bad results
__________________
Gary Reed
RV-6 IO-360
WW 200 RV
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2014, 04:36 AM
Smilin' Jack Smilin' Jack is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cumming, Georgia
Posts: 822
Default

Andy,
Usually I am well below 142 mph and it only happens rolling right. I am taking some measurements and will see if I can find a difference.
Thanks
Jack
__________________
Smilin' Jack
EAA690 /WB4JKY
APRS
Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
Jack & Anita Hunt
N507H
KJZP Jasper, Georgia
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 AM
sandifer sandifer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gereed75 View Post
Whatever. Do not put on gap seals. The frieze aileron is designed to have this gap. There have been several attempts at gap sealing the aileron with bad results
I've never seen RV ailerons taped, but the Pitts S-1S has Frise ailerons, and taping the gap - i.e. laying 3" wide tape on the top of the wing/aileron gap makes a significant improvement in roll rate, aileron feel, and also reduces stick force slightly. I've flown mine both ways and it felt like a different airplane without the ailerons taped. I don't know anything about attempting to gap seal RV ailerons. What were these "bad results"? Just curious. I too, had previously thought the Frise aileron was aided by airflow through the gap, but that seems not necessarily the case.

Last edited by sandifer : 01-20-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM
humptybump's Avatar
humptybump humptybump is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Eastern Shore of Virginia
Posts: 2,926
Default

"Gap Seals" has been discussed as a performance topic here on the forums ...

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=103202
__________________
- Glen, ESVA
RV-8 FP IFR | Track my RV-8 | 53VG
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2017, 12:36 PM
ALMARTON ALMARTON is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: BRAZIL
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandifer View Post
I've never seen RV ailerons taped, but the Pitts S-1S has Frise ailerons, and taping the gap - i.e. laying 3" wide tape on the top of the wing/aileron gap makes a significant improvement in roll rate, aileron feel, and also reduces stick force slightly. I've flown mine both ways and it felt like a different airplane without the ailerons taped. I don't know anything about attempting to gap seal RV ailerons. What were these "bad results"? Just curious. I too, had previously thought the Frise aileron was aided by airflow through the gap, but that seems not necessarily the case.
I'm having a very slow rate on my RV7A (even compared to my former RV9A) and some buffet when rolling. Even under 140mph. So I will try to tape the gap. Can you provide me with some pictures from your settings or instruction of which tape to use or how to do it (links to the product) - I'm in Brazil not that easy to find good tapes here. Any help will be nice!
__________________
Alexandre "neck" Marton
Brazil
RV7A (8/2015 built by FLYER)
Lycoming 180 HP - YIO-360-M1B, Hartzell C2YR-1BFP/F7497 72, Garmin panel - G3X Touch, GTN650, GTS800, WX-500, BATT CONCORDE RG-25XC AEROBATIC SEALED.
-------------
Others: RV9A
Lycoming XIO320-D1A, Hartzell HC-C2YL-1BF/F7663-4 , CS GOVERNOR MTV-12-B, DYNON D180
AND GARMIN AVIONICS
(Sold with aprox 300hrs flown from Dec/2010 -- JUN/2014)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-2017, 01:14 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 6,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMARTON View Post
I'm having a very slow rate on my RV7A (even compared to my former RV9A) and some buffet when rolling. Even under 140mph. So I will try to tape the gap. Can you provide me with some pictures from your settings or instruction of which tape to use or how to do it (links to the product) - I'm in Brazil not that easy to find good tapes here. Any help will be nice!
I recommend you that you do not tape the gap. A frise style aileron is designed to have airflow between the wing and the aileron.

I think you should look at your problem in a different way.....
If there is 9000+ RV's flying.... with good aileron response (without sealing the gap).... wouldn't it be better to figure out what is different about your airplane from all the rest?

I suggest you start with reading the portion of the current Section 5 of the construction manual regarding proper trailing edge shape of control surfaces.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.