VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM

Default My way

I just finished my tanks. Here is how I did it. I bought some 1/4" plactic tubing from home dpeot. Heated the end upmand pushed it over the tank's vent to flare it. Added a B nut and AN sleeve and hand tightened it onto the vent fitting. Blew into the tank until i couldnt blow any more, took a swige of water and blew that into the tube for about 30 inches then kept on blowing until it filled up the manometer half way ( both sides level) . Stoped blowing and the manometer settled at about 24 " of water, which is just shy of 1 psi. Then i bubble tested all the joints and let it sit over night. My breath in the tank cooled over night and I lost 1.5" of water, but the bubble test showed no leakage.

After reworking the second tank, i add a second tube on the fuel pickup. One with water for the manometer, one to pressurize. This made it easier to fill with my breath without have to push a swig of water into the tube. I just used a 1/4 inch punch to seal up the pressurization line. Easy peasey.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 07-19-2017, 03:48 PM

After about 4 days, I've lost about 5" of deflection from my initial pressure. Which was about 12" total in a 3/8" ID tube. The tank is obviously holding at this pressure and I couldn't find any leaks at the full 12" of pressure.

Is it possible to have a leak only at higher pressure and be leak free at the lower pressure and still be okay?

I want to do one more full pressure bubble test to see if I can find anything. I'm also worried about over pressurizing the tank and doing damage.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:05 PM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the past, but has anyone had success building a plastic lined water tank and submerging the fuel tank under water to look for leaks?

Cheers,

Phil