VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 PM

Doug,

If you are smelling fuel on climb out check your carburetor bowl gaskets for leakage. That was my problem. I was using the rubber (neoprene?) gaskets that were supposed to be reusable. The auto gas looks like oil on the drip pans.

Rich
Old 07-15-2017, 08:24 PM

In my experience, smelling fuel during a climb typically means that one or more of your carb floats is overweight. This causes fuel fumes to vent out of the carb bowl vent tube and into one's nostrils.

When new from the ROTAX factory, the carbs are equipped with thin cork bowl gaskets. These cork gaskets don't seem well suited for repeated use and can be awkward to properly reinstall. ROTAX parts dealers (e.g., Lockwood, CPS, etc.) supply a thicker fiber-based gasket which works well -- no leaks for me. I have heard that the rubber (silicone or neoprene?) gaskets are not happy with mogas/ethanol fuels.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 520+ hours (as of July 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.

Last edited by DHeal : 07-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.