VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM

Default New tire, new shimmy

A few days ago I replaced the nose tire and tube on my RV-7A due to a worn tube. Nose wheel has been modified by anti splat with sealed bearings, and
previously had been balanced. On takeoff roll with the new tire and tube I noticed a slight bumping during and after the ground roll. "dang" I thought to myself, new tire isn't balanced as perfectly as the old one. No big deal I thought, until I landed. Normal landing, but when I let the nose gear touch I felt a split second of shimmy, which then stopped. I went around the pattern again to confirm, and same thing happened. I've never had any shimmy at all in my airplane, guess its time to pull the tire back off and balance it.

Caleb
Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 AM

Did you re-check the nose wheel break-out force?
PlanePower Alt, Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -
Old 07-13-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalrv7 View Post
A few days ago I replaced the nose tire and tube on my RV-7A due to a worn tube. Nose wheel has been modified by anti splat with sealed bearings, and
previously had been balanced. On takeoff roll with the new tire and tube I noticed a slight bumping during and after the ground roll. "dang" I thought to myself, new tire isn't balanced as perfectly as the old one. No big deal I thought, until I landed. Normal landing, but when I let the nose gear touch I felt a split second of shimmy, which then stopped. I went around the pattern again to confirm, and same thing happened. I've never had any shimmy at all in my airplane, guess its time to pull the tire back off and balance it.

Caleb
....Before you remove it from your plane, give it a spin to visually check it for being round, with no more than about .060" run-out. Any more than this can cause issues. The Aero Classic tires are the worst. If you find this to be the case, remove it and send it back as defective. We return about 30% of them as unusable. The most perfectly round tire for the nose is the Ching Shin cheep tires. Also be certain the wheel halves are properly aligned with one another. I see this error all the time on Matco nose wheels when they come in for service or modification. Thanks, Allan...
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020