VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Default Cracker fly in

I saw your plane yesterday, but was unable to stop by and see you. I was driving the shuttle tractor and things were busy. Maybe next time, wanted to see if I could help with your Dynon. Not likely since I have a SkyView and am not real good with electronics, mechanical stuff is my forte. Hope Dynon gets you back up to speed.
HOBBS @114.5
Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 AM

Default Cracker fly in

I was so busy I never got to see the 14 or Vic Syracuse. Vic did stop and talk to my wife. By the time I got a break, about 2:00, Vic was gone. Oh well, at least our new east coast rep is a short RV ride away now.
HOBBS @114.5
Old 07-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Thanks DB, saw your plane as well .Are you planning to paint it? Thanks for the offer of help, but I believe this is going to require a Dynon lookover so sending it out tomorrow.

Tried the testing for brightness again today while in different lite conditions and no change. Not so sure today that engine running has anything to do with it but don't know.

Pictures of what I am talking about will be sent to forum so all can see what I am experiencing. In all conditions the screen is operating it's simply to dark to be legible.

Hopeful that Dynon will have a solution. I sure don't.
Dick Seiders
Old 07-09-2017, 04:04 PM

Default Paint

I will eventually get some color on it, too much fun flying. Can't decide if I'll paint or vinyl wrap it. I cleaned it with alumaprep for the fly in, so it is nearly ready for paint/vinyl. Did I mention how much fun it is to fly.................
HOBBS @114.5
Old 07-09-2017, 06:07 PM

Default Dick's Pictures

Pictures of Dick's problem D-180:

In hangar with door open.

Outside with engine running.

During taxi.

In flight.

Dick Seiders
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 07-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Well now, let's see. The only things that I can think of that change when the engine runs are the bus voltage, and vibration. How about checking the voltage with an external meter to be sure it is within specs?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:23 PM

there is a light sensor in the AP74 auto pilot module, have you tried it with the auto pilot switched OFF (or fuse pulled)? Your first photo has the master OFF so the AP74 is off line in that photo. All your other photos it looks like the auto pilot is switched ON.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:11 AM

John, I always check the voltage at start and again at runup.It has never indicated a problem. I realize the data shown could be in error but if voltage too low wouldn't the battery back up power the display?

MMiller, I tried to find the sensor on AP after "do the time" suggested that. I could not find a sensor. Regarding having it on I have always turned on master, ignitions, avionics, and AP at start, and all remain on for duration of flight. Since I have done this consistently and the screen brightness issue is only six months old I have doubts about the sensor, but we may find out later.

At any rate the D180 is on its way to Dynon for review and repair and hopefully I will have causal info to share with all when it's completed.
Dick Seiders