- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > California
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
Actually, the tax assessor assesses the tax on property, then the county tax collector collects the monies and turns them over to the auditor controller.

http://lacountypropertytax.com/porta...taxsystem.aspx

-Marc
The point was that the *state* deals with sales/use tax, and the *county* deals with property tax. The rest is a distinction without a difference
Old 06-01-2017, 10:49 AM

I recently went through the use tax thing this for in and out of state purchases with the board of equalization. When they sent me a form/questionnaire, I returned it with a bunch of receipts, tax forms, and a check for what I owed (avionics only). I neglected to include the note I wrote to explain it all.

They sent me a bill more than doubling what I owed. After a phone call and talking to the person that had my paperwork, we were able to discuss what was purchased and when and where. I had purchased the kits over a 14 year period and mostly out of state. The finishing kit I did buy in CA, but paid the use tax already on my state tax returns.

The next day I got a form saying I now owed $0. They were very nice to talk to, resolved to issue quickly and I didn't feel they were trying to extract every available dollar.
RV7 N76CX
(started: Feb 2002 --> Completed: May 2016)
Old 06-05-2017, 10:28 AM

Default Calif

Last place I would move too and I live here. Wait till you license your vehicles.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgb View Post
Last place I would move too and I live here. Wait till you license your vehicles.
Hmph. $100 or so per year for registration fees, and licensing fee (property tax) of .65% of value. That's better than the rate charged by my county for the airplane property tax (1% rate).

At least we don't have annual "registration fees" for aircraft here. Yet.

I *love* California. It's not perfect, but it has a ton of things to offer...
Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 PM

I already paid my sales tax for my aircraft purchased last year and that was easy and straight-forward.

Then last month I got a property tax bill statement showing a value of my aircraft that was almost $3000 more than what I paid. I called to ask why, and was told that the assessed value reflects the value of the aircraft plus tax. Huh?? That makes no sense at all! They can't add the sales tax to the value for a new, higher assessed value. Can they?? Please tell me if I'm wrong! I told the lady that what she's saying does not make sense and I wanted to talk to a supervisor or someone else. I was transferred to someone's voicemail and left a message.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Angry It is True but sad

yep found that out years ago on one of planes. They add sales tax to the value to determine the actual value. I agree with YOU , but it is Cal. It has already been contest in court. Guess who won. Might know Cal. is overhauling the Board of Equalization at this moment. Don't expect it to change. We have many things that have sales taxed added and it is a RENTAL.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim etcheverry View Post
yep found that out years ago on one of planes. They add sales tax to the value to determine the actual value. I agree with YOU , but it is Cal. It has already been contest in court. Guess who won. Might know Cal. is overhauling the Board of Equalization at this moment. Don't expect it to change. We have many things that have sales taxed added and it is a RENTAL.
You're right Jim. The supervisor called me back and told me that it is correct - assessed value equals value (amount you paid) + tax. And as you've said, it was contested in court and the state won. So I just paid...