Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-08-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Small wire connections

Howdy to All,
I'm connecting trim servo wires.. Probably 26g wires. How have others made these connections. I believe that there could be 2 wires that might need to be changed if the servo goes in the wrong direction. Seems like a plug would make most sense to me...
Old 07-08-2017, 10:04 AM

Default 26 gauge trim wires

I used connectors that can slide together, and I did need to switch direction of travel on the trim. Easy to do. Although 26 gauge is really small.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:06 AM

D-sub pin and socket, short length of non-adhesive heat shrink over the connectors. Easy to cut the heat shrink off later if it needs to to be disconnected.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Craig View Post
Howdy to All,
I'm connecting trim servo wires.. Probably 26g wires. How have others made these connections. I believe that there could be 2 wires that might need to be changed if the servo goes in the wrong direction. Seems like a plug would make most sense to me...
Stein has several videos for these types of questions found here https://www.youtube.com/user/shbruch...lf_id=2&view=0.
Here is his video for trim wires. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8DCvBV2V4M
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp & Wings done - working on fuselage - finish kit received

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 07-08-2017, 11:08 AM

One common practice is to use subD pins/sockets, but without the shell. Just heatshrink over each joint.

FWIW, I'd solder & heat shrink a 22 gauge wire to each 26 ga pigtail, & make whatever runs/joints/etc you need to make using 22 ga aircraft wire. Not for current capacity, but because the 22 ga wire is more physically robust.

Pick your swappable location so there's easy access. Same applies to the joints at the servo itself; they do go bad from time to time.

Charlie
Old 07-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default How I did it

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ighlight=Deans
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 07-08-2017, 03:02 PM

I used Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 connectors (https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=WM1858-ND) on my trim servos. A single connector for all 5 wires going to the servo (2 power wires and 3 position wires). Switching the power wires to reverse direction shouldn't be necessary since my servos are powered from the Garmin G3X autopilot servos which allow direction to be determined by software configuration.

Having purchased the connectors and the special Molex crimping tool, the resulting connection has turned out well. However I'm not sure I would do it this way again as the cost of the special tool is probably not worth it for just a few connectors. If I were to do it again, I would probably use a small D-sub connector with pins, since I already need to DMC crimper for the D-Sub pins for the rest of my Garmin Avionics equipment.

RV-10 Finishing Kit in-progress
2017 VAF Dues Paid
Old 07-09-2017, 04:42 PM

Thanks to all,
I knew I had seen a video like this but completely forgot about Steinair. Will order the pins today.....And Stein built my panel :-))
Old 07-09-2017, 04:59 PM

I use D-sub pins and connectors then attach the connector to something solid with zip ties. With the right crimper you can easily crimp the 26AWG wires.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.