VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-04-2017, 05:16 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 6,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
it would be useful to know how this was discovered and what, if any, dangerous condition resulted.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...8&postcount=10

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...1&postcount=18
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 07-04-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-05-2017, 05:40 AM
WingedFrog's Avatar
WingedFrog WingedFrog is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 854
Default

From the first link: "The soft isolators can not be over compressed because there is still a spacer that the bolt torques up on."
Could you elaborate on this, I do not understand.
__________________

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 AM
Piper J3's Avatar
Piper J3 Piper J3 is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 664
Default

I checked my isolators and can't find any markings on them so I suspect they fall into this notification. On the other hand, I have very little clearance between engine valve covers and cooling plenum on the left side and don't see any evidence of motor movement causing a problem. Airplane has 250TT.
__________________
-
Jim Stricker
Hinckley, Ohio
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 288
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 AM
DaleB's Avatar
DaleB DaleB is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Omaha, NE (KMLE)
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFrog View Post
From the first link: "The soft isolators can not be over compressed because there is still a spacer that the bolt torques up on."
Could you elaborate on this, I do not understand.
Take a look at the drawing in the manual. The bolt goes through a spacer, so the bolt torque doesn't depend upon the rubber isolator. The fuselage attachment point (WD-1221), bolt, washers, spacer and nut form a solid assembly. When you torque the nuts down there will be some compression of the rubber parts, but the washers bottom out on the spacer and that's what you're tightening the nut and washer against, not the rubber parts.

The first time I checked I was pretty sure I saw no markings. On closer inspection, I could just see the very tops of the numbers along the very edge of the metal "cup". No paint dots are visible anywhere.

Is it possible to install the isolators backwards from what's shown in the drawing - in other words, male half on the aft side of the engine mount, female half forward? And if so, would it make a difference?
__________________
Dale
Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 PM
WingedFrog's Avatar
WingedFrog WingedFrog is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Take a look at the drawing in the manual. The bolt goes through a spacer, so the bolt torque doesn't depend upon the rubber isolator. The fuselage attachment point (WD-1221), bolt, washers, spacer and nut form a solid assembly. When you torque the nuts down there will be some compression of the rubber parts, but the washers bottom out on the spacer and that's what you're tightening the nut and washer against, not the rubber parts.

The first time I checked I was pretty sure I saw no markings. On closer inspection, I could just see the very tops of the numbers along the very edge of the metal "cup". No paint dots are visible anywhere.

Is it possible to install the isolators backwards from what's shown in the drawing - in other words, male half on the aft side of the engine mount, female half forward? And if so, would it make a difference?
Now I get it, thanks Dale. Of course an alternative would be to make the spacer shorter for the soft isolators to allow for more compression but if possible it would be even more work than swapping the isolators!
I still am not convinced that a well balanced engine is at risk with the soft isolators... If something bad happens to the engine that creates lots of vibration, may be? But eh! it's a Rotax 912 not a Continental or Lycoming!
__________________

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114

Last edited by WingedFrog : 07-05-2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-05-2017, 05:53 PM
RFSchaller RFSchaller is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,052
Default

Thanks for drawing my attention to those posts, Scott. Sounds like this is precautionary as opposed to a failure having occurred. I feel better about waiting until next oil change in cooler weather to check mine.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-05-2017, 08:44 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 6,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFrog View Post
I still am not convinced that a well balanced engine is at risk with the soft isolators... If something bad happens to the engine that creates lots of vibration, may be? But eh! it's a Rotax 912 not a Continental or Lycoming!
This has nothing to do with whether your engine will run smoothly or not.

As is usually the case with design details, there is usually a lot more to it than people consider.


Here is just one.....

When an airplane experiences a G's exceleration, all components feel it the same way you do.
The engine is connected to the airframe with flexible rubber isolators (the subject of this discussion).
If the correct parts are installed, the engine on an RV-12 will sag more than 1/2" at the spinner during +4 G's.
How much will it sag if isolators that are softer than specified are used? I don't know. Tests were never done to see what happens if wrong parts are used, but I will guess that it be an inch or more.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.