Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 03:31 PM

A few more things to check from a trouble shooting perspective is to verify the blades actually move by manually moving them (if you haven't already) and to back the prop off the hub to see if oil drips out. Finally once you remove the PG make sure the shaft rotates freely by hand.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 07-01-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
A few more things to check from a trouble shooting perspective is to verify the blades actually move by manually moving them (if you haven't already) and to back the prop off the hub to see if oil drips out. Finally once you remove the PG make sure the shaft rotates freely by hand.
Thank you. I did move the blades manually today so I know that works. I'll be removing the PG tomorrow and possibly backing off the prop as you suggested.
RV-10 Build Log
Old 07-01-2017, 10:26 PM

Default bad governor

I took the governor off. The gasket/screen had been installed correctly. And there was plenty of oil in all the ports. I then successfully cycled the prop with compressed air pushed into the engine inlet oil port (the one the governor should be using). Didn't even take much pressure to do it.

I tried turning the governor shaft by hand. It turns easily backwards, but only with GREAT difficulty in the correct direction. Not sure if this means anything.

I got the governor with the FWF kit from Van's so I'm hoping they'll just swap it for me. Not sure what warranty there might be but we'll see. At this point I think everything is pointing at a bad governor.

Can anybody think of anything I might be missing?
RV-10 Build Log
Old 07-02-2017, 01:21 AM

To build on Paul's comment, also check to ensure the gasket has a filter screen on it rather than just a little hole or, even worse, being a solid gasket. The wrong gasket can block oil flow by simply not having an orifice through which oil can move. MS9144-01 is the proper gasket for 4-cylinder Lycoming engines - not sure if that's the correct one for 6-cylinder engines but suspect it is.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
To build on Paul's comment, also check to ensure the gasket has a filter screen on it rather than just a little hole or, even worse, being a solid gasket. The wrong gasket can block oil flow by simply not having an orifice through which oil can move. MS9144-01 is the proper gasket for 4-cylinder Lycoming engines - not sure if that's the correct one for 6-cylinder engines but suspect it is.
Yep. It's the right one. Pretty sure it's a bad governor.
RV-10 Build Log
Old 07-03-2017, 07:05 PM

Default Solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Before I sent the governor off, I'd check the position of the gasket. Ocam's razor says that if you have a new prop and a new governor, they are probably fine. Which means installation is more likely the issue. Not certain - but more likely.
So. .... Occam's razor, huh? .... Turns out my Tach was lying to me because I had it calibrated for a 4 cylinder engine. When I thought I was running at 2200 RPM, I was really running ~1500 RPM. .... Fixed the calibration, put the PG back on the engine, ran it again, and cycled the prop without issue.

I ran across this thread on VAF, noted the symptoms were identical, wrote to him about his solution, and you know the rest.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=141150

Thank you all for your input.
RV-10 Build Log
Old 07-04-2017, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it!
Something I do for all first engine starts, on new airplanes and after panel upgrades, is to have an optical, electronic tach on the glareshield. It's a very fast comparison of the panel-mounted tachometer.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)