Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2017, 05:51 AM

Another possible RV checkout/training route: John Musgrave at Morris, IL (C09) gives RV transition training and tailwheel endorsements in........(wait for it)..... his dual control RV4!!

Check it out at: www.blueskyaero.com

I have haven't met this gentleman, or talked to him, but a local new RV4 owner got his transition training from John recently. Good luck with your decision. The RV4 is a great airplane, and the most bang for the buck in an RV.
RV-14 Wings - sold 2014
RV4 - Flying
Cessna 182RG - flying
New RV8 - Under construction
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
Old 06-29-2017, 08:34 AM

Do yourself a favor. Learn your tailwheel and basic stick and rudder skills in something that requires stick and rudder skills, like a Cub, Champ, etc... You can find a decent flying machine for 20-25k and sell if for the same when you're done.
The RV series of aircraft are almost too easy. If you gain your skills in an airplane that requires you to use good technique, you will easily transition into an RV and be much more prepared if/when conditions require all your skill.
As far as simulator time and the aspects of a tailwheel: near useless. It would be like using a simulator to learn to ride a bike. You have to be able to "feel" what the airplane is doing.
I flew antiques for hundreds of hours before the RV. My transition training with Mike Seager was one hour with three landings. Done.

There is no doubt you can learn to fly any RV in a couple days with Mike or other qualified RV instructor if you have some time under your belt. I just don't feel that is the best path for tailwheel but there are exceptions.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Another possible RV checkout/training route: John Musgrave at Morris, IL (C09) gives RV transition training...
I received 5/hrs dual required by insurance with John 4-years ago. Great guy/instructor. I only had ~20/hrs TW some 5-years prior to flying with John and settled into the -4 nicely. He knew I was in the market and looking to purchase in a few weeks and felt comfortable enough to let me solo so I'd know what the pre-buy flight would be like.

Not that I have a ton of experience in various taildraggers, but I think the -4 is the easiest I've flown--you can power out of most bad situations, but that in and of itself takes experience. I also had 400/hrs dual given by the time I strapped into a -4 and was comfortable with airplanes doing things I didn't tell them to do--and then correcting for it. I would not have been comfortable in a -4 without the experience of flying faster aircraft and the TW foundation already behind me.