- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2017, 07:07 AM

Default Results

So last night happened to be the monthly meeting for my EAA chapter, and I was on deck for the show and tell. I decided to make it an opportunity to work on my hot start procedure with a group that included at least half a dozen mechanics...

After talking through the options everyone here has provided, I used the lean-to-rich method without boost pump and found that it worked flawlessly. Here's what's now in my checklist under Hot Start Procedure:

1) Mixture to ICO
2) Throttle full open
3) NO boost pump on initial attempt
4) Master on
5) Electronic Ignition On
6) Start, gradually enriching mixture

To test it out I got the engine up to temp, then parked it for 20 minutes or so to let the fuel in the divider and lines boil. I followed the procedure and the engine started on 5 - 6 blades. I shut down, gave it another few minutes and tried it again with the same result.

I think I must have been flooding it before, as I was trying to start with the mixture rich and the throttle cracked - the same basic procedure I used on carbureted engines previously.

I'm going to do some more testing this afternoon - it's supposed to be about 95 here today so it should be a pretty good opportunity to see if I've got it down.

Many thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions. Looks like VAF just saved me the cost of a new battery!
Liberty, MO

RV-6A N101PR
500+ hours
2017 =VAF= Donation Paid
Open Flight Solutions - Maker Of FlightBox ADS-B
Old 06-21-2017, 07:33 AM

That's very similar to the technique I was taught in the Swift. We'd begin with throttle wide open, mixture at idle cutoff, and as soon as the engine fired, 'swap the levers'.

Amazing what we put up with to have 'aircraft quality', ain't it? You're kinda cheating, with that electronic ignition.

Charlie
Old 07-17-2017, 03:46 PM

Default Hot start

I have a optima red top battery, you can taxi on
The starter if you want too, little heavier than a
"Aircraft" battery but after 4years still cranks
Forever