Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
Everybody has a right to their opinion. The fact of the matter is simple and remains the same. It is a personal preference. You can argue the pluses and minuses of slider vs tipper all day long. They both have their upsides and downsides.

Yep, like my Daddy used to say, "That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla ice cream". Everybody has their preferences and I'm not telling tipper owners they're wrong, just that the tipper is wrong for me. The more feedback we give builder/buyers the more informed decision they can make.

A couple of posters asked what specific issues I've had with the tipper. In chronological order:

1. The t-handle safety latch locked itself when the canopy was closed. I kid you not, the handle turned 90 degrees while closed to perfectly lock me out. When seating in the plane to get that latch to turn you must pull down and turn with a fair amount of force, but somehow it latched on its own. Thanks to input from folks on this site I was finally able to get it open a couple of weeks later without drilling the Plexiglas.

2. The fiberglass trim strip that covers the screws on the back of the canopy broke off a piece then started to split and eventually came off in flight. It hit the horizontal stabilizer and elevator leaving scratches. Glad that's all it did.

3. After a flight, I was on the wing, reached in to get my flight bag out of the back and was handing it to someone on the ground behind me when a gust of wind slammed the canopy down breaking off a 2" L x 3/4" W piece of Plexiglas. The plane is still flyable, but at some point I'll have to go to the big expense of replacing the canopy.

Folks say they like the ability to open the canopy and let it rest on the t-handle giving a 2" vent while on the ground. That's fine, but you better not forget that if you catch a strong gust from behind, that canopy is coming up fast and can do a lot of damage (there's a good video on this site of the canopy going into the prop). I've had this happen but fortunately caught it before it flew all the way open. If it's windy now, I just close and latch the canopy and deal with the heat.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Default Love my tip-up

for all the reasons cited, and would only ever change it for one reason: I'm convinced a shallow water ditching has a high chance of ending in an inverted drowning outcome since the canopy is not jettisonable in flight nor openable when sitting on the bottom inverted. Not if built to plans. Pretty much given the plane will flip. Do you carry a James Bond pocket scuba device? I don't.

Before the inevitable drift happens, let's stipulate that it's been beaten to death in the ditching threads.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A flying since '98
RV-10 in process

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 05-08-2017, 02:12 PM

Default Thanks for more info

As a Tip-builder and flyer I think it is important to help those considering a Tip-up canopy to understand from others what maybe the cause of the issues you have had and why some of us have not had these issues.

1. The t-handle safety latch locked itself when the canopy was closed. I kid you not, the handle turned 90 degrees while closed to perfectly lock me out. When seating in the plane to get that latch to turn you must pull down and turn with a fair amount of force, but somehow it latched on its own. Thanks to input from folks on this site I was finally able to get it open a couple of weeks later without drilling the Plexiglas.
The mounting block for the safety latch on my RV was pre-drilled by the factory to accept the t-handle shaft. Typically when drilling the UHMW material the hole shrinks from the actural drill size. Therefore the t-handle shaft fits tightly in the hole. Mine will never turn on its own. I believe the original builder may have enlarged the hole allowing the handle to move freely. So for those new Tip-up builders don't enlarge the hole in the block.

2. The fiberglass trim strip that covers the screws on the back of the canopy broke off a piece then started to split and eventually came off in flight. It hit the horizontal stabilizer and elevator leaving scratches. Glad that's all it did.
This trim strip is not in the plans but several have fabricated one. Bonding fiberglass to plexiglass can be an issue. Sliders have at strip similar to this strip for the canopy fairing along the back. Sliders can have de-bonding just as you did.

3. After a flight, I was on the wing, reached in to get my flight bag out of the back and was handing it to someone on the ground behind me when a gust of wind slammed the canopy down breaking off a 2" L x 3/4" W piece of Plexiglas. The plane is still flyable, but at some point I'll have to go to the big expense of replacing the canopy.
Understanding that the canopy can become a big sail is the cost of owning a Tip-up. Care should always be taken when the canopy is open. Hope you weren't hurt

Paul Merems (EAA Tech Counselor, EAA Sheetmetal Workshop Instructor/Volunteer 12 yrs)
ExperimentalAero-HANGAR BANNERS
www.experimentalaero.com
RV-7A (Flying since 2010)/RV-4 (sold 1990)
Tucson, Arizona 85749
Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmerems View Post

This trim strip is not in the plans but several have fabricated one. Bonding fiberglass to plexiglass can be an issue. Sliders have at strip similar to this strip for the canopy fairing along the back. Sliders can have de-bonding just as you did.

And to add to Paul's comment.

There is no need to rely on bonding to attach the Targa strip. It can simply be held on with countersunk screws that go through the three layers of fiberglass, Plexiglas and frame.
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 05-08-2017, 03:15 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstone View Post
Folks say they like the ability to open the canopy and let it rest on the t-handle giving a 2" vent while on the ground. That's fine, but you better not forget that if you catch a strong gust from behind, that canopy is coming up fast and can do a lot of damage (there's a good video on this site of the canopy going into the prop). I've had this happen but fortunately caught it before it flew all the way open. If it's windy now, I just close and latch the canopy and deal with the heat.

Hope this helps!
In the interest of fairness, the video of a canopy being flung open in a very strong wind and hitting the prop is of an RV-12. The -12 has a different canopy design than the other tip-up RVs. The tip-up of a RV-6, -7, -9 cannot open far enough to hit the prop (well, maybe if a gale-force wind ripped the strut assemblies out of the fuselage, but if the wind is that strong there are other problems to worry about....and the pilot definitely needs to be cautious when the plane is subject to prop or jet wash.).

The issues the original poster noted can be addressed by proper construction of the tip-up canopy and reasonable care in use. I understand his frustration but feel his statements do not reflect the tens of thousands of hours of satisfactory tip-up canopy service. But I'm glad we have a choice so all RVers can love their ride.

But I'm admittedly biased by nearly twenty years of enjoyable tip-up flying.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 05-08-2017 at 03:19 PM.