What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Flow Transducer mounting question

fabricflyer

Well Known Member
Where are you mounting your fuel flow transducer in 7s out there? Got any pictures of the mounting setup? I've got Vans firewall fwd kit and figured it would work better behind the firewall. Appreciate any thoughts.

Allen

Allen here is an old picture showing where I mounted mine. Hopefully this works as I've never posted pictures here before.

rcnepe.jpg

Bevan
RV7A Slider

OK somehow the picture got rotated. Basically the fuel has a long straight run before the fuel flow sender. Unfortunately, it has a 90 degree right after. Not flying yet so we will see. Some requirements as I recall for this fuel flow sender...

Wires coming out on top,
Straight run prior to sender
Prefer straight run out
Prefer cool environment so as not to pick up engine heat.

Bevan

LOTS of different opinions out there

Allen,

The more you dig into this one, the more you'll find a big difference in opinions out there. I really struggled with it because there's no clear consensus. So I figured I should listen to the mfr. and go with their advice above all others. So when I read the directions, it was clear that it should be downstream from ALL fuel pumps, in addition to the straight tubing preference and the upright configuration with wires coming out the top. I know there are plenty of others who have done differently and it may be working fine for them, but I decided to put it on the forward side of the firewall in the engine compartment. It's solidly mounted here, unlike on the engine where it's subject to much more vibration. It won't be too difficult to run a line in from the engine-driven fuel pump, and a line out to the intake for the fuel injection or carb. The heat in the engine compartment doesn't seem to be an issue. Lots of guys put it right on the engine. But I'm not going to do that.

I made a simple bracket and riveted it to the firewall. Here's a picture. This isn't my idea. I borrowed it from another builder here on VAF.

P1080157%20(Small).JPG

There's more discussion of my thoughts and experiences, and lots more pictures on my log page, here:

Fuel Flow Transducer Installation

Firewall mount

I mounted my red cube on the firewall with 5 inches of straight run before and after per instruction. Between the pump and carb.

5da9f29ab00ae328422cb86382887c29.jpg
[/IMG]

e333e68e01be508b2ad6e3390f87a700.jpg
[/IMG]

On a RV7 036 carb. Had to make 22 inch fuel line.

William

RV8A for sale
RV7 insterments
[email protected]

On firewall, this installation allows three hoses all the same length (gascolator to fuel pump/fuel pump to fuel flow/fuel flow to carb).
9F3F6605-9DDB-4679-B150-BE1C52714C19-1550-000000DE765D7A4D_zps0b43437c.jpg

Back