What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Imagining G3X Touch future capabilties

First time poster but long-timer lurker. This is a great forum to read-up on Experimental avionics even if you don't fly an RV (currently flying an E-LSA Carbon Cub that I am putting a G3X Touch panel into).

I think the G3X Touch will be the baseline for Garmin experimental avionics for the next decade. The hardware is very solid.

For the ADS-B 2020 mandate, I am hoping that Garmin will release a tiny certified GPS box that plugs into the Can Bus or an open serial port. The G3X system could then relay this stream to the 23ES, and we could increase the SDA level from non-compliant to compliant.

Then I got thinking. Once we have a certified GPS source, Garmin could totally build a full featured FMS into the G3X Touch and sell it as an software upgrade.

That may sound far fetched and cuts into the certified GTN sales, but the G3X has serious processing power and Garmin has committed to experimental products. Thoughts?

Pay grades gap.

Your idea is a little above my pay grade, so I don't know of it's merit, butt. I must say it is a nice thought anyway. I was just hoping to make it through 2020 with out having to buy a high end GTN with all its nice features. If one had an aircraft with all this and a GTN-750, it would be interesting to see how many would sell. I think there would be some market scratching and sniffing that would be needed before you spent that much on developing and bringing to market something you could only get a small number sold off the self. Nice thought, keep them coming.. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Brian,
Absolutely not. The FAA slightly changed the ADS-B mandate to say that equipment does not need to be TSO'd, but needs to meet all the requirements of the TSO (about 2,000 pages). It will be interesting to see if anyone can "meet" the TSO without getting it.

The FAR doesn't separate experimental, TC'd, or even transport aircraft. Every aircraft in the USA is under the same rules.

Brian,
Absolutely not. The FAA slightly changed the ADS-B mandate to say that equipment does not need to be TSO'd, but needs to meet all the requirements of the TSO (about 2,000 pages). It will be interesting to see if anyone can "meet" the TSO without getting it.

The FAR doesn't separate experimental, TC'd, or even transport aircraft. Every aircraft in the USA is under the same rules.

Spot on... There is a HUGE difference between what someone who is trying to sell you something says on their website and reality. We had a similar discussion some years ago when various people simply thought calling their GPSes "IFR WAAS GPS" meant it was an actual legal IFR GPS - just saying it doesn't make it so and actually meeting the spec's means a WHOLE lot more than a simple statement. To that end, I'd not immediately go charging out buying one of those systems claimed to meet a spec based entirely on internet forum speculation and marketing/sales info from a person selling a box. Much as we might "want" something to say what we desire, it's far more complicated.

That said, I'm certainly not discounting the possibility of different (read cheaper) alternatives coming down the pike in the future from any number of sources.

Cheers,
Stein.

That said, I'm certainly not discounting the possibility of different (read cheaper) alternatives coming down the pike in the future from any number of sources.

Cheers,
Stein.

well at least you know you already sold me all certified equipment anyways, i won't kick myself as hard for misreading that mandate update

can't wait to fire the new garmins up!

Marcus,
I am glad you moved from lurker to contributor. For years I enjoyed your posts on the COPA site before I sold my SR-22 and bought a RV-6A, and even after you moved up to an Eclipse. Your insights will be very helpful. Many may not be aware that they have you to thank for the privilege of uploading flight logs to Cirrusreports.com.

Completed the G3X Touch install in my Carbon Cub today! It is such a wonderful system.

RoFRmGkh.jpg

plNPKAeh.jpg

Up- date to wish list.

Along this line. As we have been putting together a G3X system. I have been looking with interest at this subject. One of the little black boxes we found in this system is the GDL-39R. A thought had crossed our mind. That if the 39R had the 3D installed in it and a WAAS cert. receiver. It could be made to send that into the system and blue tooth it to an I-pad mini. I would have to ask. Would that not give you 2020 ADS-B and a back-up PFD. on the mini? I know this would not give you a flight director and WAAS approaches like a GNT-750 or 650 or 625 would, but it would be a way to meat 2020 ADS-B needs if you did not need the big radios and that cost.
Thoughts?? Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Back