Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llavalle View Post
Sure thing! I'll check the weather forecast and make the trip. I'm going to Ottawa for work tomorrow but I don't think I'll have time to drop by.

I'll probably drive on a weekend - I just checked and I don't have my english proficiency rating on my license. It's a formality since I'm perfectly bilingual (ok, got a small accent) but I'd rather do that before I fly outside of QC.

Any way to reach out any of you guys before I leave to make sure I don't drive 2 hours and no one is there?

Thanks!
I have PM'd you the EAA Chapter emails of the three guys who are there the most often.

Cheers

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004) - Sold
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk
Flying a '79 Maule M5-235C

President EAA Chapter 245
Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 PM

Just a quick follow-up re language proficiency. I have both English and French endorsements on my license. I've flown in, across and near Quebec for years and can say I have never really had an opportunity to use the French language proficiency. Then again, I've also had an Ottawa Terminal controller who had to be officially bilingual to work the Ottawa airspace whose French accent was so strong when he spoke English that I asked him to switch to French because I couldn't understand his English (that incident resulted in a safety concern letter going out to Nav Canada as the individual in question clearly was not functionally bilingual.

Don't be shy, come on over to EAA 245. One of the RV9A's is in the hangar beside mine. Heck, I might even try to corrupt you by showing you my Glasair Sportsman! :-)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Stuff deleted...

Don't be shy, come on over to EAA 245. One of the RV9A's is in the hangar beside mine. Heck, I might even try to corrupt you by showing you my Glasair Sportsman! :-)
As Mark says, don't sweat the language thing. All of the controllers in the Ottawa area are fully bilingual, and your accent would have to be incredibly bad to be an issue on the Unicom frequency.

And Mark's Sportsman is spectacular so be careful...it could be a trap!

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004) - Sold
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk
Flying a '79 Maule M5-235C

President EAA Chapter 245
Old 10-23-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8bldr View Post
...it could be a trap!
Dagnabbit Mr. Richardson, you've foiled my element of surprise yet again!

(We have a problem in our EAA chapter where nearly half of the executives are named Mark. You should come over just to hear the name-calling - sounds like a bunch of dogs barking. Mark-mark-mark... LoL)

Yeah, the language thing really is a non-issue. We are seeing an increase in the number of foreign students doing flight training here so we're all getting accustomed to accents of every type. You'll blend right in and nobody will even notice.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:13 PM

Talking Правда

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post

... вырезано...

Yeah, the language thing really is a non-issue. We are seeing an increase in the number of ...

True. Couple years ago there were couple aircrafts in the circuit of Lachute and they commed in French. A request in English went unanswered so I switched to Russian, joined the pattern and landed. Everybody understood.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
True. Couple years ago there were couple aircrafts in the circuit of Lachute and they commed in French. A request in English went unanswered so I switched to Russian, joined the pattern and landed. Everybody understood.
LOL, I sure everyone went out of the way

For the language thing, I've flown before in English so my skills aren't the problem here - I'd just rather be 100% legal...

I also drive an electric car so getting to Ottawa by car is way cheaper than renting!
Construction Web Cam (broken now)