VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 PM

So the M7A is a complete mic unit? ie. it contains all the circuitry so you only need to wire it to the plug?

I am just thinking of alternatives to butchering a headset for the Mark II
Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 PM

Wow.. Great thread..

I just ran across and old Telex headset tonight that might be great to try and rig up one of these.. I have seen some in videos and always wondered how they'd do..

Maybe I'll roll my own..
Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 AM

Default The Mic

Yes, the M7A is a complete mic. All you need is to get two wires from it to the mic jack plug, and the thin shielded mic cord is super light. One note; it is a little more bulky than a split system. It is not objectionable though, and you eliminate the need for a box hanging in the middle. It is just a matter of putting a plug on the end of the cable and plugging it in. I was never a fan of these project boxes hanging on the cord.

I found a slick way to make the physical transition from the wire head band, to the free hanging mic cord. Take a piece of heat shrink, about 1 1/2" long and poke a hole in the side, about half was down. Now string that on your headband from the non mike side, starting in the end of the shrink and coming our the side. Next feed the mic cord completely through the shrink. After shrinking, this makes a clean transition, coming down the back of the ear.

Good Luck

Tom
Old 11-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Hey guys-

I'm sitting here looking at a set of Telex Airman ANR 200's that are about 15 years old.. They are ANR jet headsets and while looking at them, I thought: Has anyone thought about using a current ANR headset and wiring up the new in ear buds to the unit?

Seems like you might get the best of both worlds..

Jeff
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Ear Buds inside standard headset

FWIW: I have been using a set of off-the-shelf Etymotic ear buds, with a Radio Shack in-line volume control. I put them on first, then put my OLD DC headset on over the top of the earbuds, and plug only the mike in.

Great noise reduction, and much better clarity, even in my very noisy T-6. And if the ear buds fail, I can use my standard headset as a backup.

Down side: a wire jungle! If I can ever get a round tuit, I'd like to put a small jack inside each earpiece for each earbud.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2017 Donation+ Sent
Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 PM

I took the frame+mic up for a test run over the weekend... I may have hit a bit of a snag.

The mic seems VERY sensitive (and loud)... just leaving it sitting on the seat, it would start transmitting constantly on the intercom... even after fiddling with the squelch.

The wierd thing was, if I picked it up and held it close to my face to simulate wearing it, it would 'cut out' like you would expect... I think I need to adjust the mic gain and try again. Luckily there is a potentiometer on the circuit board, which I believe allows you to alter the mic gain...

If this does not work I may need to source another mike

Last edited by jyates : 11-14-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Default ORDERED!

From Spruce:
Electret microphone (11-04838) $17.50
Foam mic cover (11-04840) $1.50
5' stereo headset extension (11-10640) $39.60
Cable junction box (11-02743) $6.30
Total from Spruce (with shipping): $71.62

Radio Shack "Comply" Headset (with volume control) $32.09
Radio Shack 1/8th stereo phone jack $3.20

Total so far: $100.19

Radio Shack will provide the heatshrink, 1/8" stereo headset jack and assorted fittings. I'm not sure how well the cheapy microphone will work, but it's about $60 cheaper than the David Clark model, so it was worth a throw of the dice.

Think I'll try a TIG welding rod for the frame, but I've got to play with it first to see if it's stiff enough. I hope to get the kinks (err...smooth bends) worked out and make another for my father-in-law for Christmas.

As an alternate approach, one could eliminate the junction box and plug the earphones directly into the panel via a converter plug (11-02746, $3.45) You would then need to buy only the mic cord (11-10625, $26.90) and you'd save a few bucks to boot. You'd end up with two completely different, extremely simple components.

I'll let you all know how it works out.
RV-8 (sold)
Xtreme Decathlon (borrowing)

Last edited by RBD : 11-21-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:45 PM

I would be interested to know how the cheapy mic works out... as I have just found out that we have a Spruce rep here in NZ...

They do a bulk order/combined shipping every week or so, to help minimise shipping to NZ... so I may be able to get one at a 'reasonable' price if it turns out that my current one is unsuitable...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Works good! Spruce Mic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyates View Post
I would be interested to know how the cheapy mic works out... as I have just found out that we have a Spruce rep here in NZ...

They do a bulk order/combined shipping every week or so, to help minimise shipping to NZ... so I may be able to get one at a 'reasonable' price if it turns out that my current one is unsuitable...
I've been using my headset for about 10 hours of flying and the MIC works great!

I'm having a small problem with the headset jack- but I think it's a builder error.

The MIC works very well- highly recommend it for the money!

PS_ my Halo broke! I'm down to one headset. The homebuilt!
sold my RV7
I am a flightless bird!
VAF #976
Old 11-20-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcdowell View Post
I've been using my headset for about 10 hours of flying and the MIC works great!

I'm having a small problem with the headset jack- but I think it's a builder error.

The MIC works very well- highly recommend it for the money!

PS_ my Halo broke! I'm down to one headset. The homebuilt!
Glad to hear the Spruce mic works well. I was a bit concerned because it is so much cheaper than any of the other offerings. With regards to the headset jack, is there room in the little Spruce cable box to mount a headset jack and a micro switch? I'm thinking about trying to make mine switchable between mono and stereo? I'm certainly a novice when it comes to wiring (read that as, "I'm a total newbie,") and would appreciate any advice on how to do this. I can't wait to try 'er out!

UPDATE: I went to Radio Shack to pick up the 1/8th jack and found the "Comply" earphones that jcmcdowell mentioned:

As jcmcdowell discovered, Radio Shack has cheapy Comply earphones WITH an inline volume conrol AND an extra set of Comply plugs for $39. Even better, it's on sale right now for $29. Went to the parking lot to try it out on my iPod, and then went back inside and bought another set - they work great!

The volume control is tiny, as you can see:

UPDATE 2: I'm taking the RadioShack earphones back. I tried to use them to listen to my iPod while cutting the grass, and they simply don't provide enough noise attenuation for my liking; I don't see how these would work well in an airplane. To that end, I've been very skeptical of the Comply claim of 42dB of noise attenuation, and now I'm just about convinced that the only way to achieve that number is to use a solid plug of the material jammed in your ear. The one thing keeping me from writing them off completely is that so many of you swear by them. It makes me wonder if the RadioShack brand lets in considerably more sound through the actual earphone (the plastic part) than the Comply brand does - the "you get what you pay for" concept. I originally wanted to avoid batteries, but I think I'm going to try some of the cheapy (my new favorite word) in-ear ANR headphones. Till next time...
RV-8 (sold)
Xtreme Decathlon (borrowing)

Last edited by RBD : 11-23-2007 at 10:07 PM.