Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Default One or two transformers?

Gil,

Do you need one or two transformers if you want to have stereo audio to your headset?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM

two. and you still need two after the forum software wouldn't let me send just the word 'two'.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:00 AM

Default Thanks Gil, Carl and CJ

Ok, waiting for the ear buds to arrive and have R/S transformer in hand. I'll give Mouser another look. They had a transformer listed with a 16 ohm secondary but was out of stock with a May delivery. I'll order one of those too as well as the one described by CJ and experiment. Need to find a small box to mount the transformer and transition the wires to the plugs.

Thanks for all the input. This little project looks like a great way to kill an evening or two and maybe save myself a few hundred $$$ on an L/S Zulu.

More to follow.

Carl Raichle
Lutz, FL
RV-9A N194CR
First flight in a few more days

Last edited by carlrai : 04-02-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Just as a quick update on some testing I've recently been doing...

You see, I made my own in-ear headset as described on this and other threads, but also decided that I would purchase a Halo at OSH'08. The Halo has been getting more use than the home-made ones because some dummy built the homebrew ones with the mic on the right side, and then discovered it's really preferable to have the mic on the left side (DOH!!!!).

Since the earplugs on the Halo are easy to remove/re-install, I got a brainwave. Why not take the Comply(tm) earplugs from the homebrew headset and install them on the Halo? I figured the noise reduction from the Comply plugs would be better than that of the yellow foamies that come with the Halo.

Well, let's just say I ran this experiment until the Comply earplugs fell apart, and that wasn't very long. Unfortunately one of them came apart during a particularly tricky approach on a blustery day - I wasn't impressed.

Conclusion 1: The Comply earplugs are meant to thread directly onto the audio transducer and provide much better longevity in that configuration.

Conclusion 2: My original hypothesis was wrong. For my ears (your mileage will vary - we all have different ears!), the yellow Halo foamies provide better noise protection than the Comply earplugs. This conclusion was really reached some time ago, and is perhaps one of the reasons why I haven't been wearing the homebrew headset as much as the Halos.

Conclusion 3: My next iteration of homebrew headset will look a lot more like a Halo. I'll mount the audio transducers on the headset frame itself and then use plastic tubes (a la Halo) to connect between the transducer and the earplug. I'm also going to consider using a hollow tube for the headband in order to allow adjustability (again, a la Halo).

My thanks go to the fine folks here at VAF for having kick-started this discussion and ultimately convincing a bunch of us to experiment and come up with a money-saving and very useful project.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:11 PM

Default Transformer wiring

I am trying to wire the two Radio Shack transformers and I don't know how that should be done. On Nick Ugolini's website, he indicates that the green and blue wires are attached to the planes headphone plug and then the red and white wires are soldered to the headphone jack. I also understand that two transformers are needed if you want to have stereo. What I don't understand is where the wires should be soldered because there would be four wires going to a stereo headphone jack, but only three places to solder the wires. I guess I just need a little help on the wiring schematic. Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 PM

Smile No problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasman45 View Post
I am trying to wire the two Radio Shack transformers and I don't know how that should be done. On Nick Ugolini's website, he indicates that the green and blue wires are attached to the planes headphone plug and then the red and white wires are soldered to the headphone jack. I also understand that two transformers are needed if you want to have stereo. What I don't understand is where the wires should be soldered because there would be four wires going to a stereo headphone jack, but only three places to solder the wires. I guess I just need a little help on the wiring schematic. Thanks for any replies.
At the airplane side (sound input) of the transformers, just connect two wires to the ground on the stereo aircraft plug. Make them the same color, but it doesn't matter which color.

Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 04-20-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Thanks for the infromation

Thanks Gil. That helps a lot. I enjoy these types of projects, but sometimes I feel like I am swinging in the dark.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 PM

Default Better earplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Since the earplugs on the Halo are easy to remove/re-install, I got a brainwave. Why not take the Comply(tm) earplugs from the homebrew headset and install them on the Halo? I figured the noise reduction from the Comply plugs would be better than that of the yellow foamies that come with the Halo.
I agree that the yellow ones from Halo don't provide as much noise reduction as I'dl like. I use these: Http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/holemaxuffop.html
I use a hot wire to poke a hole in them and re-use the tubes from the Halo plugs (just strip off their foam). You'll notice a big difference, I'll bet they're even better than the Comply plugs.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Default Plantronics 480 update

I finally got both adapters functional for my 480 headset. No transformers or preamps; I just put a 1/8" stereo jack on a cut-off mic plug from a defunct aviation headset for the mic adapter and used a mono 1/4" phone plug (mono intercom) wired to both channels of a 1/8" stereo jack for the earpieces.

On a short hop to a neighbor's strip, the sound isolation seemed a lot better than my old Lightspeed 15XL's with their newer earpads (last longer but don't seal to my head as well as the old ones).

The mic seemed to work fine after a bit of plug wiggling in the mic jack. Wingman said that it was breaking up at first but then seemed to clear up. The mic itself might be a bit more vulnerable to cockpit noise than a stock a/c mic, but serviceable. No problem at all with volume in the phones from the radio or intercom.

I'll get a few hours on it as-is, and if radio communications are consistently good & passengers don't have any complaints (should be ok since it sounds ok talking to myself with a Lightspeed plugged in the passenger jacks), I'll consider mounting 1/8" chassis mount jacks next to the standard intercom jacks so I can eliminate the adapters.

Charlie
Old 06-29-2009, 12:05 AM

Smile Thanks Charlie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
I finally got both adapters functional for my 480 headset. No transformers or preamps; I just put a 1/8" stereo jack on a cut-off mic plug from a defunct aviation headset for the mic adapter and used a mono 1/4" phone plug (mono intercom) wired to both channels of a 1/8" stereo jack for the earpieces.

On a short hop to a neighbor's strip, the sound isolation seemed a lot better than my old Lightspeed 15XL's with their newer earpads (last longer but don't seal to my head as well as the old ones).

The mic seemed to work fine after a bit of plug wiggling in the mic jack. Wingman said that it was breaking up at first but then seemed to clear up. The mic itself might be a bit more vulnerable to cockpit noise than a stock a/c mic, but serviceable. No problem at all with volume in the phones from the radio or intercom.

I'll get a few hours on it as-is, and if radio communications are consistently good & passengers don't have any complaints (should be ok since it sounds ok talking to myself with a Lightspeed plugged in the passenger jacks), I'll consider mounting 1/8" chassis mount jacks next to the standard intercom jacks so I can eliminate the adapters.

Charlie

...for the testing and report.

I just ordered my 480 tonight - lots of places have them for around $30.

This adapter should do for the Headphones portion since I have a mono system in the plane -

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062462

- and a home made adapter cable like you mentioned for the 0.205 mic. plug.

Did you short the L & R channels of the mic together or just use one of the outputs?
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ