What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 vs. Dynon D3

dreed

Well Known Member
Looking at the D3 and the G5 for backup. I have dual AFS 5600's and a quick panel from Advanced .

Anyone really given both a run through and think one is the clear winner? Given all the AFS equipment the Dynon seems like the obvious choice but wondering if there are reasons I should look at the Garmin as an alternative

Neither. Both Dynon and Garmin require air speed or gps data to reach an attitude solution. The GRT mini requires neither. Losing both seems very unlikely, but why gamble when you don?t have to?

Neither. Both Dynon and Garmin require air speed or gps data to reach an attitude solution. The GRT mini requires neither. Losing both seems very unlikely, but why gamble when you don’t have to?

Total marketing hype. GRT requires aiding too, they are just clever at hiding it.

The probability of having so many failures that this comes into play is ridiculous. This problem has been solved and is no longer a concern.

There are many more higher risk factors to worry about in our planes than this one!

Neither. Both Dynon and Garmin require air speed or gps data to reach an attitude solution. The GRT mini requires neither. Losing both seems very unlikely, but why gamble when you don?t have to?

Not sure where you are getting your Garmin info but it is WRONG. The G5 does not require airspeed or GPS to give an attitude. The G5 can be installed WITHOUT Pitot and Static and still give you attitude.

Before installing mine, it was connected to a power supply inside the house without GPS coverage or pitot and static yet gave perfect attitude indication when tumbling, rolling, or whatever position it was in.

The built in software allows one to turn off heading and air data information so that it does not show on the display.

Well, almost. The G5 has its own GPS built into it, with the antenna in the bezel. For certified applications, a "real" antenna is required.

I have no idea how the Kalman filters work for devices with solid state gyros...

The Dynon PocketPanel only requires an electrical connection to keep it's internal battery charged.

Looking at the D3 and the G5 for backup. I have dual AFS 5600's and a quick panel from Advanced .

Anyone really given both a run through and think one is the clear winner? Given all the AFS equipment the Dynon seems like the obvious choice but wondering if there are reasons I should look at the Garmin as an alternative

Just be aware that the D3 only provides GPS derived Ground Speed, Track, Vertical Speed and Altitude. It does not have any air data sensors or connections. If that is important to you you might look elsewhere.

The G5 is a very good unit but pricy compared to a D-3. And as a back up the Dynon is sufficient for half the price of the G-5.

One note of interest. I purchased a D-3 to replace my D-2 and then realized that the D-3 as oppose to the my older D-2, did not transmit GPS position over wifi to my tablet. This capability in itself is a back-up to my uAvionix UAT as my iPad does not have GPS. My D-2 stayed and the D-3 went.

Michel

Just be aware that the D3 only provides GPS derived Ground Speed, Track, Vertical Speed and Altitude. It does not have any air data sensors or connections. If that is important to you you might look elsewhere.

Also the G5 can display nav information.

For IFR back-up, GPS altitude does not provide the needed information for maintaining a barometric altitude, and GPS groundspeed does not provide a good reference for IAS. As a backup instrument, I think the G5 is a better option even though I have a Dynon panel.

For IFR back-up, GPS altitude does not provide the needed information for maintaining a barometric altitude, and GPS groundspeed does not provide a good reference for IAS. As a backup instrument, I think the G5 is a better option even though I have a Dynon panel.

However, it is not subject to the issues you will have if your Pitot or static system is compromised.

GPS altitude will keep you out of the dirt and GOS ground speed will get you to the runway. You just need to keep in mind what you are dealing with, if you are flying with it.

I have had a PocketPanel in my plane since they came out and will keep it there through the next upgrade.

For backup nav duties, I will keep a handheld GPS in the panel as well. That way, if my electrical system or EFIS goes belly up, I can aviate and navigate for longer than I will probably have fuel.

Last edited:
One other thought, the PocketPanel is cheap enough and very easy to install that if you don't like it, you can replace it with the Garmin easy enough.

Back