Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 05:30 PM

Ill be there if my Rockets out of paint.
Aircam now flying 965rs
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoday View Post
I've avoided flying anywhere near DC. Putting my license (and more) at risk is intimidating.

Question for the local pllots: If I can make the event, what should I know in addition to the on-line class? What really happens as you approach KDMW from the WSW?

Thanks!

Carl
Wow, you might get the distance award (if that exists)
Take the class as you mentioned.
If you are VFR:
Make sure your Mode C is working because you will be close or even inside the mode C ring depending on your flight path.
The area west of DC around the LINDEN (LDN) VOR has a lot of east-west bound commercial traffic so keep your ears and eyes open.
There is a "slot" between the DC FRZ and P-40 (Camp David) that goes right over Frederick Maryland. Make sure FSS tells you whether P-40 is "hot" or expanded to its larger size shown on the chart. If it is, the slot gets narrow.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Carl,

Flying into KDMW or anywhere nearby isn't any different from flying anywhere else in the country. A couple of things to be aware of:

1) If you fly within 60 miles of the DCA VORTAC, you are required to take the " ALC-55 Washington DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA)" online course at https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_catalog.aspx (Under Wings Courses).

2) Camp David is due west of KDMW. You cannot fly through the inner ring of P-40. The outer ring, R-4009 is activated by NOTAM typically when the president is at Camp David. Typically this area is not activated.

3) When I fly west, I typically fly directly over KFDK. They recently opened up a control tower (Class D, ceiling 2,800').

If any of this looks/sounds intimidating, you can always just cut around top of R-4009. At RV speeds, it shouldn't add much extra time.

Here is a drawn up section which should make everything clear

Wow - We didn't expect to draw people from as far as Texas! It would be awesome if you can make it!
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com

Last edited by bullojm1 : 05-20-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Just to clarify Mike's post: You can fly without talking to anyone in the outer ring of P40 UNLESS it is activated by Notam when the boss is there. He rarely goes to Camp David so chances are this will not be an issue. Be sure to check the Notams first though.

There is no reason you should need to fly through the SFRA unless you are coming up from the South. Just go around plus it keeps you at higher altitudes over the mountains on the West.

I realize that people are intimidated by the DC SFRA but really folks, if you can fly an airplane you can figure this out. There is nothing to be nervous about. ATC and the FOD's (Forces of Darkness) don't care a darn thing about you if you are not going into it. I do acro and formation flight in the SFRA with no problems. The positive thing is that you get traffic reports as some areas inside are pretty dense with airplanes.

DMW is well North of the SFRA but you will be inside the 60nm ring that requires you to take the course. It only takes a few minutes and it is informative plus will put your mind at ease.

So guys, no excuses on the SFRA being a deterrent to going. Put your big boy pants on and I'll see you there. The DMW RVers are all great guys and will be excellent hosts.

Recently Completed & Flying - RV8 Hot Rod
Flying - RV8
RV4 - FAST & FUN! Rebuilt, Flown, Sold
RV-7A Built, Flown, Sold
Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM

I'll echo what Capflyer said and just add that its very easy to stay out of the SFRA, P-40 and Class B airspace. If you have an up-to-date database in your GPS, you just stay outside of the circles, or under, in the case of Class B. If you are coming from the west, you can get a transition through Frederick's Class D or just go over it. You don't really have to talk with anyone.

Way to go, EAA Chapter 1384! See you at the RV Fly-in.
Building Fokker DR-1 Triplane from Plans
http://www.pilotbill.com
Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 PM

Mike/Bill,

Thanks for the clarification on R-4009. I've updated my post.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Thanks!

I appreciate the responses and advice regarding SFRA and proximity operations.

If planet's align I hope to attend. It's way too early to decide which pants to wear.

Carl

Last edited by flytoday : 05-20-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:41 AM

46 Days until the First Mid-Atlantic Gathering of RV's! Mark your calendars!
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 AM

Default Excellent

Sounds like a fun day.....I'm looking forward to it!
GRT Sport & GRT AP
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capflyer View Post
I realize that people are intimidated by the DC SFRA but really folks, if you can fly an airplane you can figure this out. There is nothing to be nervous about. ATC and the FOD's (Forces of Darkness) don't care a darn thing about you if you are not going into it. I do acro and formation flight in the SFRA with no problems. The positive thing is that you get traffic reports as some areas inside are pretty dense with airplanes.

DMW is well North of the SFRA but you will be inside the 60nm ring that requires you to take the course. It only takes a few minutes and it is informative plus will put your mind at ease.

So guys, no excuses on the SFRA being a deterrent to going. Put your big boy pants on and I'll see you there. The DMW RVers are all great guys and will be excellent hosts.
Well said. The 60nm ring is nothing more than a mode C veil. There is absolutely nothing special about flying there. The SFRA is nothing more than a mode C veil where you have to verify that ATC sees you first. It's less complicated than flying to a towered airport. The FRZ (the very inner ring) is nothing more than a mode C veil where ATC wants to see you and you can only fly to three places. It's less complicated than flying class B airspace.

I learned to fly from inside the SFRA (W00) and I watch teenage pilots do solo cross country flights in and out of the SFRA every weekend. If it was SO terribly complicated and dangerous, do you think they'd let student pilots fly around in here??

Let's stop spreading the horror stories of risking your pilot's license and more by flying within 30nm of the capitol. You're MUCH more likely to be grounded by black helicopters by flying VFR out of California from West to East