What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intake filter size ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Van?s intake will not fit in the James cowl for 0360 w/ FM-150. Don has an elbow for use with a cone filter that has significantly less area than Vans round filter. Dan H has commented on a rectangular filter area that he has used in a different config.
So, before I start developing a custom intake with optimized filter capacity, does anyone have any comment on just using Don?s elbow with cone filter ?

James

Larry,
Is there something wrong with the James intake setup?
I did 2 on carbs.....so I looked at the injected or forward facing FI setups.
Mybe the FM-150 is vertical and doesn't allow the forward facing setup?..

For vertical intakes, it might be a bit tricky. Horizontal flow works great with a K&N E-0995.

I did the elbow setup from Don and it works great with the SJ intake. I had to make an phenolic spacer to align the filter with the intake tube but that part also came from Don.

PM if you'd like some photos. Here's one of the in-work setup.

ijHbTMCl.jpg

Updated need for input

OK, I have a 90* elbow and large K&N filter from AFP. I will make a shroud to connect the SJ cowl snorkel to injector flange with cone filter inside. I have read the 2011 discussions by Bob J, Dan H and others on filters, inlets etc. This leaves three questions:
1-Does a bullet on the front of the cone filter make enough improvement to offset the potential failure of the bullet coming loose from the filter. The hazard is probably a fastener through the FI and I don't need the work if not worth it.
2-I theorized with Kyle at AFP, that the diameter of the housing did not need to clear the filter base much because you are not attempting to create a pressure recovery chamber. This could be erroneous if the velocity demand through the filter is much less than the snorkel intake velocity ?
3- I propose to build the filter housing out of Dan's glass/silicone composite. This would allow maximum flex for engine shake and only require one piece with two clamps instead of two pieces with three clamps. It is assumed that concern for Scat liner ingestion is a non-issue since the structure is pressurized in flight. However, ground run could be a different condition. Your thoughts/ experience ?

OK, I have a 90* elbow and large K&N filter from AFP. I will make a shroud to connect the SJ cowl snorkel to injector flange with cone filter inside. I have read the 2011 discussions by Bob J, Dan H and others on filters, inlets etc. This leaves three questions:
1-Does a bullet on the front of the cone filter make enough improvement to offset the potential failure of the bullet coming loose from the filter. The hazard is probably a fastener through the FI and I don't need the work if not worth it.
2-I theorized with Kyle at AFP, that the diameter of the housing did not need to clear the filter base much because you are not attempting to create a pressure recovery chamber. This could be erroneous if the velocity demand through the filter is much less than the snorkel intake velocity ?
3- I propose to build the filter housing out of Dan's glass/silicone composite. This would allow maximum flex for engine shake and only require one piece with two clamps instead of two pieces with three clamps. It is assumed that concern for Scat liner ingestion is a non-issue since the structure is pressurized in flight. However, ground run could be a different condition. Your thoughts/ experience ?

The E-0995 K&N filter has an integral bullet and deep pleats for more surface area than the Van's flat snorkel filter. I built a crude pressure recovery box out of fiberglass and connect it with a short piece of sceet.

Ed Holyoke

20160922_193431%201_zpsygptqsyj.jpg

Still need suggestions 😏

It appears a vertical induction sump is the problem. Don’s elbow then FM-150 w/ cone filter is not close to compatible with SJ RV4 snorkel. A Harley Davidson oval filter (K&N) is viable for suface area but will require fiberglass creativity. Before I CUT, does anyone have a better solution ?

Last edited:
Back