Home > VansAirForceForums

- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-11-2019, 04:12 PM
echozulu echozulu is offline
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 53
Default Batch Priming Setup

I did a quick search and found some photos but not a lot. I'm looking for recommendations or experience on how you prime your parts, specifically in large batches.

It took me to doing the tailcone to finally overwhelm my little table that I used previously. I use rattle can primer and would prime one side, dry, and flip it over to prime the other side.

I'm not planning on painting myself so a positive pressure paint booth seems kind of overkill. My current plan is to get some twine and string it between two points in the yard like a clothesline. This will allow me to get both sides at once and then let it sit and dry. The problem I have is the place I live is near the ocean and rains a lot. So I'm looking for some sort of portable solution like a garment rack that I can push in and push out.

Any pictures or suggestions would be appreciated!
RV-10 - Empennage started
Ocean City, MD
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:29 PM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 3,156
Default Priming

I've got a few options. My "Go To" is my storage barn. I set a cheap baby gate on two saw horses and spray. P60G2 dries really fast so I can flip pretty much after the last pass.
Option 2 is for bad weather.
I have conduits strapped to my garage door frames. They are strapped so the doors still operate. I can suspend all sorts of stuff. My temporary paint booth is several shower curtains hung from the conduits plus on the floor and a ceiling. I use a bilge blower and dryer hose connected to a wall dryer vent in the garage. Same baby gate and saw horses are used as a down draft platform. Takes only a few minutes to set up and take down for a session.
I recently purchased a HobbyAir positive pressure respirator as an extra precaution.
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 PM
PilotjohnS PilotjohnS is offline
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southwest
Posts: 611
Default My experience

I tried suspending my parts from a make shift clothes line during one of my priming sesions. It didnt work so well. The parts were hard to hold with one hand as i sprayed with the other. The PG60 drys so fast it is just easier to spray on chicken wire, wait 10 min, turn over and spray again. I found a lazy susan helps too.
John S

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2019, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 PM
bruceh's Avatar
bruceh bruceh is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ramona, CA
Posts: 2,144

I built a really crude wooden frame with some chicken wire attached. I would drag out my empty trash cans, put the frame over it, and then lay down the parts. Mind you, I live in a warm climate where this worked just fine 12 months of the year. At the end of the build, my trash cans were all fully primed.

Another tip: mix up just a bit more primer than you think you'll need, and when you fill up the spray gun, leave a little bit out. You'll find after spraying, you might just need that little bit extra to get it all covered. Using the two part epoxy primer and having to wait 30 minutes for it to induce correctly was a pain at times.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flown over 600 hours!
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2018 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 AM.

The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.