What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine dehydrator and engine heater?

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Are you sure you need to do this? Nashua is reporting 22% humidity right now. I don't know if that's unusual or not.

2. The engine preheat vendors recommend against leaving their systems on constantly. Any water in your oil will warm, evaporate and collect on colder parts inside the crankcase, like your crankshaft and cam. Lots of discussion on this in lots of places, but Reiff says this about leaving an oil heater on constantly (see FAQs on their site):

"If you are using an oil sump heater alone, we recommend NOT leaving it on continuously unless the aircraft is flown frequently, and neither do the engine manufacturers. Any oil heater used alone will raise your oil temp more than it raises the top end. For example, ours raises the oil about 80oF over ambient, and the top end around 35. Since there is usually a lot of moisture inside your crankcase, we're afraid the oil heater will fill the case with warm moist air and condense water on the cooler top end parts."

I think I'd rather just have all that water in the oil pan nice and cold.

Just a couple of cents worth...

Back