What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Case overhaul

n180tf

Has anyone found an alternative to Divco for case overhaul/certification? I find their price to be very high.

Case

I think Crankcase Services is still in Sand Springs OK, just west of Tulsa. I don't think you will find much difference in price. The price is really modest considering the work they do.
An alternative if you want to save money is to shop for an already overhauled case that is slightly outside the "deck height" limits for certification. A few years ago these were running around 1k outright. The various airboat companies are a good source for these. A few thousands out of tolerance on deck height is not a big deal for experimental. It will raise the compression ratio very slightly.
You can then sell your case for almost the price of the "experimental" case.

Chuck Ney in Tulsa. Also has a oil nozzle mod.

Last edited:
I used ECI. Price was about 10% less. Deal was better for me when I included the Dynafocal I modification.

Larry

Engine Work

The folks at Central Cylinder are really good people. I would call and discuss your needs with them. Of all the people I know that have gone to Central Cylinder, I haven't heard any complaints.

Be careful with Ney, some ugly stories out there. And that mod takes oil away from somewhere else it was supposed to go....:eek:

First time I have heard of this. Are you just rumor mongering?
I've had the mod for 1000 hours in a IO 360 no problems.
This is a STC that has been around for quite a while. If causing engine problems I would like to hear of actual data, not just "stories out there".
If true I would think Ney would have paid for some failed engines.

Last edited:
Case repair

I have used Divco quite a bit. Ran a shop in the 80's & 90's and since then as a consultant send them a couple a year. Last summer they modded my RV 9 case from Dynafocal II to I. Probably 50-75 engines total over that timeframe. I also know a couple engine shops that have used them for many years. No affiliation just a satisfied customer. I will continue to use them.

Don Broussard
A&P, IA, ATP

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Ney Nozzles

First time I have heard of this. Are you just rumor mongering?
I've had the mod for 1000 hours in a IO 360 no problems.
This is a STC that has been around for quite a while. If causing engine problems I would like to hear of actual data, not just "stories out there".
If true I would think Ney would have paid for some failed engines.

If you do a search using "ney nozzles" you will find a lot of info on this subject.
Ney nozzles, any experiences? on this forum 5/09/06 includes a post from Mahlon.

Don't get these mixed up with piston cooling nozzles which are Lycoming factory installed in a few engine models. Two entirely different purposes.

I did my research before paying for them years ago, I would never limit my research to this forum. I said I had them installed, how would you think I'm confused with the Lycoming nozzles. I actually read and retain my STC paperwork.

Last edited:
Back