What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High EGT one cylinder for few minutes

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
I have noticed on my last few flights that the EGT on my #2 cylinder is quite a bit higher than the others during the climbout to altitude and initial level-off. This lasts for about two minutes, and then it gets in line with the others. I've seen the #2 go to about 1460-ish, while the others are around 1340-ish, then after a few minutes, they are all within 20-30 degrees of each other (back in the low 1300 range). And the readings are stable, so don't think it is a probe issue.

I have dual P-Mags, auto plugs, and always do a run-up/ignition check, and never have issues. I also try to stay lean on the ground and lean to 75 ROP at cruise.

Any suggestions? I was going to start by checking the plugs, but wanted to get some thoughts from the engine gurus out there.

Thanks,

Rick
RV-4/O-360

First thing I would do is a ignition check when you observe the high EGT. That will tell you if a plug is dropping out.
George

FI or Carb?

Like George says ignition first, but are you fuel injected or carb? LOP or ROP when it happens?
If it's injected do your GAMI spread test and for either system look for intake leaks.
Happy hunting
Tim

I am also ROP, because it has occured each time with mixture full rich for climb and level off, before I reduce power and lean the mixture.

Back