What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroVee on an RV-12

Alan Gilmore

Just an idea...the AeroVee is only $7,000 and puts out 80 horsepower, 20% less than the 912s, but a whole lot cheaper. I wonder if you have any thoughts why this would be a show stopper, assuming the performance was not degraded to much. I dont mind looking at some details on this, but I thought I would throw it for some discussion first to see if you had any immediate reasons it would not work.

I hope to build an RV-12 when the kits are available.

rv12

I too like the 12 and have a strong desire to build one. I too have wondered about alternative engines. Horse power is not the only issue. Power loading is an important design consideration in choosing a wing profile but there is also the weight and balance, cooling, and engine mounting problems. With all of the kings horses and all the kings men putting forth their maximum efforts to use the liquid cooled rotax it would be a big design change to use an air cooled engine. Im guessing the VW engine is a bit lighter than the rotax and so right away we will have a tail heavy plane to re-balance, or vis a vis. JC Whitney sells the long block VW brand spaning new in the box for $4500 bucks. If you have a source for a core, you can build one up for less than $1500 of parts, (not counting redrives or conversions)

The 0200 cranks out 100hp, but may be a bit heavier and more costly and waht about the everlasting 0290?. I have thought about the VW or other engines but since I dont have the capability to make a change, I plan to use the engine of choice by the folks at Vans. They be much smarter than I. However, if the Vans designers incorporate an alternative, I could be happy with that.

The AeroVee is a bit heavier than the 912 and with 20 less hp but a bundle cheaper. Could be done but without the blessing of Van's I'm sure and wouldn't it have to be built as an experimental then? I can't keep up on what is allowed within the LSA concept and pilot licensing.

Probably adding a LOT of work and headaches...

From what I understand from Van's is that they are designing this as an easy to build aircraft - with complete instructions including FWF (Rotax) and their designed panel (I believe they are specifying the Dynon D-180). The "cab-forward" design with the passengers forward of the main spar has also required some specific engineering to maintain acceptable W&B.

So, in a nutshell, my thought is anything outside of this - and you will probably be on your own. Remember - you would have to design and fabricate the engine mount and cowling - Unless someone else decides to do so, and markets it. Any additional weight out there towards the nose will be an issue as well. Seems like a lot of work. Depends on how bad you want to save the money.

I'd definitely do an AeroVee that they have engineered for our use, as opposed to just putting together a VeeDub small block motor.

But then again... that is what puts the "experimental" into what we do...

I believe that someone (Jabiru?) is planning on designing a FWF package for the RV-12. Their 3300 would make a sweet motor for this airplane - but the less expensive 2200 could be used. I'm just not sure that you'd want to drop down from the 100hp specified for this aircraft.

Just my opinions. :)

DJ

A friend of mine finished a Sonex with the AeroVee and is very disappointed in the engine. Apparently the thing hardly has enough thrust to lift the little Sonex off the ground with two people and full fuel. He wishes he had installed the Jabiru engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
take off problems

I looked at the Sonex data and saw that the vertical speed was not a lot different for the 80 vs 120hp engines...BUT, then I looked at the take off distance. 500 vs 250 feet, so I think you are onto something. Looks like the 80hp may be on the marginal end of performance.

Too bad, I was hoping to find an inexpensive alternative to the Rotax. Probably not worth it if I have to do alot of work figuring out how to do it, and then end up with a marginal airplane.

On the other hand, 80hp would probably be enough if I could just think of a way to either:

1.) Get rid of ALL the drag, or
2.) Get rid of ALL the weight

I suppose I should think about this a little more:)

Aerovee - no way

Hi Alan.

I just cannot understand why you want to second guess Vans. They have done all the homework to make the RV12 a winner. I helped build a Sonex and the guy cheapskated by using an Aerovee. "80 horsepower and only AUD$8 grand"
Well, he got what he paid for, except it didn't seem like the full 80 hp to me. Acceleration was almost non-existant and climb - even solo - was unspectacular.

He flew it twice and sold it !

Martin in Oz

Jabiru 2200 and 3300 appear to be the best alternatives to the 912 and 912S for the -12, IMHO. The Jabs are simple, fairly light, and have factory support.

TODR

Back