What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL "Smart Single" question

Steve Brown

Well Known Member
I'm considering a couple of MGL's TC-1 4 channel temperature gauges to replace my single channel EGT and CHT (with 4 channel selector switch).

I'm wondering what experiences any have had with these gauges. Also, how well the "Smart Singles" will fit into existing 2.25" panel holes.

doing the same

I'm think of doing the same.. I understand the round 2.25 holes must be modified to octagonal shape to match the instrument. May be a bit of a chore with the panel installed.

I'm considering a couple of MGL's TC-1 4 channel temperature gauges to replace my single channel EGT and CHT (with 4 channel selector switch).

I'm wondering what experiences any have had with these gauges. Also, how well the "Smart Singles" will fit into existing 2.25" panel holes.

I installed and MGL TC-4 which can display up to 12 channels ( I use 4 EGT + 4CHT) in a 3" instrument.

The instruments fit into a standard size instrument hole, either front mount or back mount. I prefer the front mount myself, but the instrument sticks out a bit then.

It was connected to my existing probe wires with thermocouple extension wire. Simple install and works well. My only complaint was that the manual was incomplete and I had to contact Sport Flying Shop to clarify the pinout of the connector.

Instrument works fine.

Vern

mgl smart single

Do a search on MGL smart single and look for a note from MGL regarding a remake of the Smart Single line of products that I think have a standard 2 1/4 inch face. I also have a place in the panel where I would like to use one of the smart single products, but do not want to cut my panel for a non standard 2 1/4 hole.

On Nov 28 the following was posted:

On the topic of Smart Singles (AV-1's for example): we are a few weeks away from releasing our new set of small instruments: the Stratomaster Infinity range. The Infinity range will be replacing the Smart Singles. Be it VSI, ASI, altitude, AHRS - there is an Infinity to get the job done!

The improvement? New (classic aviation) standard 2.25 inch round (front or rear mountable) housing with integrated alarm light and a rotary control ... and most important of all: silver button finish!

Trust that answers your question

Best Regards,
www.mglavionics.com

Last edited:
This is all I could find

I looked on their web site and could only find this note saying the Smart single requires a octagonal hole. The remake of the instrument may be true, I just could not find it.

"The Stratomaster Smart Singles are a range of 2 1/4? instruments designed to do much, much more than your traditional 2 1/4? analog instruments. These digital instruments incorporate analog style graphical elements (such as bar graphs), but add intelligence from the microprocessor age (12V power required). (Octagonal hole required in panel). Backlit and sunlight readable."

New Infinity gages

I email MGL and here is their answer on my query re: 2.25 gages fitting into existing holes:

"I would actually recommend waiting for our new Infinity range of singles. The current Smart Singles do not fit the std round hole, and don't have some of the functionality we would like. So, we are releasing a new range of 2 1/4" singles in about 6 weeks - 8 weeks.

The new range are ROUND, and have a rotary knob in the middle and have lots of extra functionality. And, they fit from the rear - flush mount. "

I email MGL and here is their answer on my query re: 2.25 gages fitting into existing holes:

"I would actually recommend waiting for our new Infinity range of singles. The current Smart Singles do not fit the std round hole, and don't have some of the functionality we would like. So, we are releasing a new range of 2 1/4" singles in about 6 weeks - 8 weeks.

The new range are ROUND, and have a rotary knob in the middle and have lots of extra functionality. And, they fit from the rear - flush mount. "

That's great news. I'll wait.

Smart Single ? - no

Definitely wait till the round guages are introduced. I made the mistake of ordering the octagonal Smart Single G-meter and ended up with a useless hole in the panel. I took it out - not that there was anything wrong with it except it was difficult to read - and ended up having to make an adaptor plate so that I could fit a conventional instrument.

Martin

Definitely wait till the round guages are introduced. I made the mistake of ordering the octagonal Smart Single G-meter and ended up with a useless hole in the panel. I took it out - not that there was anything wrong with it except it was difficult to read - and ended up having to make an adaptor plate so that I could fit a conventional instrument.

Martin

This thread perhaps belongs into the "Glass cockpit" topic. Anyway - here goes.

The new Infinity range is now in production for an initial 13 instruments. Readability is much better than before as we did away with the lense that was in front of the older Smart Single series.
The Infinity range is however not just a repackaged Smart Single - we started from scratch both from an electronics and software point of view and each of these units also includes a rotary control. Functionality, even though already quite good with the "Smarts" has been inproved further throughout the range.
The new housing allows monting from either behind the panel or from the front and the rear part of the housing is round - so the strange octagonal shape has gone.

For those interested why the octagonal shape in the first place - it has to do with history. The first Smart Singles where made using machined and glued plastic sheeting as we could not afford a mold (Molds are very expensive here). This method could not be used to make round housings. When we finally had scratched togther enough money for a mold we made them exactly the same shape or else the electronics would not fit !

Anyway, perhaps long overdue - Infinity will sort this out...

Sorry, I don't have pictures or a website yet - but this should come online very soon, not more than two weeks away.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Hi Rainier,

I have been interested in your product range from an early stage, but could not accept the odd ball octagonal shape, mainly because it was much more difficult to cut an 8-sided hole than a round one, and then no standard aircraft instrument could be retro-fitted. I raised my concerns a number of times with Bernard, the local importer, but he was obviously not in a position to do anything. I will be waiting to see the new range once it is released, and wish you well with it.

Regards

Martin

MGL Infinity

Any update on the new Infinity line?
I am laying out my panel and would like to have a look before I drill any holes.

Back