What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Prop pitch help needed

Chris S.

I'm ordering a three blade prop from Catto. I have a RV-8 0-360 w/ 10:1 pistons. I'm on a 1800 ft strip with good approaches in Alabama. I am currently using a 85 pitch Sensenich and can turn it 2850. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Chris

I'm ordering a three blade prop from Catto. I have a RV-8 0-360 w/ 10:1 pistons. I'm on a 1800 ft strip with good approaches in Alabama. I am currently using a 85 pitch Sensenich and can turn it 2850. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Chris

Chris,
Best thing to do is give this info to Catto and let them work the numbers for the exact length/pitch you need/want for your condition/requirements.

Prop pitch does not correlate between manufacturers. Like Carlos says, give your info to Craig and he will fix you up!

As a data point, my 180 HP O360-A4M with AFP fuel injection and Vetterman exhaust and one P-Mag with SJ cowl is running 68" diameter / 76" pitch. Stock compression but planning on a Superior cold air induction in the future, which should get the performance out of the engine I seek.

I recently installed the gear fairings and now able to get 2630 RPM at 6500 ft. Prior to the gear fairing install, I could only get around 2500 RPM in level flight at the same altitude.

I have been talking to Nicole of course, she is very nice and knowlegable on props. They are suggesting the standard prop for a 180 HP. I /we would like some feedback from someone with 10:1 and a Catto . I'm doing all I can to make this works on the first try.

Last edited:
I have been talking to Nicole of course, she is very nice and knowlegable on props. They are suggesting the standard prop for a 180 HP. I /we would like some feedback from someone with 10:1 and a Catto . I'm doing all I can to make this works on the first try.
If Nicole at Catto is telling you the skinny you should go with it. There is no question they know props.

I have been talking to Nicole of course ... they are suggesting the standard prop for a 180 HP.

If you have your doubts, explain your aircraft and mission to Nicole. She will discuss it with Craig and give you your choice(s).

Like you, i was given the most common, well tested, configuration. I has some specific needs/wants. Once I articulated them to Nicole, she got back to me with Craig's suggestions.

Talking with them is your best options.

I told Craig I wanted Van's numbers, 178 ktas at 75% power at 8000 ft. density altitude. This is exactly what he gave me. People think " well I want a cruise prop so I'll get a prop with an inch or two more pitch." But thats not how it works for reasons beat to death elsewhere. Tell Craig an honest appraisal of your engine expected performance and what you want the plane to do and he will fix you up. Mine is an RV8 with a Superior io360 and 9:1 pistons. Climb is great and there is more sprint speed left in it if I want to burn more fuel

RPM and speed

Hi Brad, those are good figures and I'm very interested to find out at what RPM you get WFO and also in cruise please

Marty
RV8 IO360 10:1

I told Craig I wanted Van's numbers, 178 ktas at 75% power at 8000 ft. density altitude. This is exactly what he gave me. People think " well I want a cruise prop so I'll get a prop with an inch or two more pitch." But thats not how it works for reasons beat to death elsewhere. Tell Craig an honest appraisal of your engine expected performance and what you want the plane to do and he will fix you up. Mine is an RV8 with a Superior io360 and 9:1 pistons. Climb is great and there is more sprint speed left in it if I want to burn more fuel

Helllo Harvey. If WFO means what I think it does, at low altitudes I can spin it up to 2850 rpm and get low 190's ktas. I don't do that often because fuel burn is huge. Cool weather and light, I can climb at low 2000's fpm. Normal climb at 1600 lbs on an average temperature day is mid to high teens. I believe the constant speed climb advantage fades away at about 125 knots. Normal cruise at 8000 density altitude might be 162 ktas at 2450 rpm and 8.2 gph or 170 ktas at 2525 rpm and 9.4. or I can turn 2700 rpm at just under 11 gph and see 178 ktas. I have an EFIS screen shot at just under 16,000 ft da at 2700 rpm and 178 ktas and 7.7 gph. Catto 3 blade prop without leading edge protection.

Last edited:
Back