What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a simple CAD program

gossend

Well Known Member
Patron
I want to cut a new panel for my plane, and I don't want to hog it out with a drill and a file like I did my last one. Can anyone suggest a simple 2-D CAD program preferably freebie) that will handle it? Need to print out full size at Kinko's. Also output a file format that a CNC mill or laser or water jet could use, but I don't know what format that would be! :confused:

Draftsight

Any body else have installation problems with this? File string too long or some such, but it doesn't give me the option to re-name or modify.

Any help appreciated from those who've had success with the install.

Too dumb I guess

Well....thanks for the help guys, but I downloaded the program and tried to use it - no way! Is there a tutorial somewhere, or should I maybe break out the drill and the rat tail file?
Wait!.....I get it! This was a joke, right? Come on now, let me in on it. :rolleyes:

Goto emachineshop.com. they have free basic cad software that is easy to use. You can also.quote and order your panel right in the tool. I designed my panel and had them ship me the cut parts. Was very easy. Search for emachineshop on the forum, and you can see more detailed posts i have done on the topic. If you go that route, i have drawings for many instruments i am happy to send you.

Second vote for emachineshop's software.
It's really easy to use, and it can import/export DXF files just fine.

Well....thanks for the help guys, but I downloaded the program and tried to use it - no way! Is there a tutorial somewhere, or should I maybe break out the drill and the rat tail file?
Wait!.....I get it! This was a joke, right? Come on now, let me in on it. :rolleyes:

No joke, you asked for CAD and that's what you got, in a simple, free downloadable version. If you have no experience in cad then don't try to cut your teeth on it designing your airplane... Think up what you want and let a professional CAD it up for you for a few hundred bucks.... www.steinair.com

A SIMPLE 2D CAD SOLUTION

Try Front Panel Designer from Front Panel Express. You don't have to use their service. Just export your design to a DXF file so that your machine software can import it.

Regards, Tom

Set the drawing units of measure first. Then just start trying things.

If you learn to use the "offset", "trim", the PLINE command with the "fit curve" edit on the PLINE, you can do about anything you need for your panel.

Best of luck.

AutoCAD clone

Draftsight is a pseudo AutoCAD clone. It's a steep learning curve. Check YouTube for tutorials.

Back