What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Accident in MN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow

Based upon the condition of the firewall forward it says a lot for the integrity of the cockpit etc. to see it so intact...

Seeing that pic reminds me of why I always wear shoes when flying; no sandals or flip flops for me! Granted, I'll wear shorts/Tshirt which is pretty much no protection, but shoes should (hopefully) protect my feet and allow me to walk out of an emergency landing field...

Seeing that pic reminds me of why I always wear shoes when flying; no sandals or flip flops for me! Granted, I'll wear shorts/Tshirt which is pretty much no protection, but shoes should (hopefully) protect my feet and allow me to walk out of an emergency landing field...

Good point indeed. I am going to stop wearing sandals flying.

Rv-8

Yesterday was a sad day at my local airport. We lost an RV8. Very happy to express that we were able to get the two individuals out and extinguish the oil fire. Out of respect for the individuals I don't want to get into too much detail, the pilot injured his legs and face and the passenger has bumps and bruises, but they will both recover.

This aircraft was a transcient on its way through leaving the individual's in unknown territory. Let's keep them in mind knowing they have lost their aircraft and face a road to recovery.

Being a witness to two RV accidents with substantial impact and damage, and being involved in the repair of a couple nose over A models, i have important detail that I want to share. When they come to an abrupt stop, the body stretches to the point where it comes into contact with the panel, glare shield, knobs, etc. I know some say they where their harness tighter than others but when the dash comes to you a tight harness is not the answer. As a group, we need to come up with a way to make the cockpit safer by getting rid of the sharp edges (glare shield, etc).

Best wishes go out to the pilot and passenger, sorry for their loss.

Butch

Last edited:
The photo leaves me with questions. It appeared they hit something solid head on, or was that just the appearance caused by the fire - or both?

Very happy to express that we were able to get the two individuals out and extinguish the oil fire.
Butch

It's great that you were able to assist the occupants to get out. Oil fires can be harder to extinguish than fuel fires. Did you happen to notice if this aircraft had fire sleeve on the oil lines.

It's great that you were able to assist the occupants to get out. Oil fires can be harder to extinguish than fuel fires. Did you happen to notice if this aircraft had fire sleeve on the oil lines.

From several accidents I've seen, I doubt fire sleeve would make any difference. Hoses are broke off, castings are broke, etc.

accident

Haven't seen any comments on the extra protection the front baggage provides. In this case I doubt the front seat occupant would have made it in an RV4.

Ron, speculation of course but looking at the photo it seems like the two likely causes are a loss of control on the ground, maybe a rudder cable? and it has run off into the grass, or a stall spin incident close to the ground.

Sure is a lot of frontal damage there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back