What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying from MN to FL

butch

Well Known Member
It looks like I may have to change my route to FL due to weather. My original plan was to head to the East coast (Kitty Hawk south to FL) and am now looking to divert straight south through St Louis to the gulf. I am looking for suggestions on sights to see, good FBO airports or airparks, aircraft salvage yards, etc in that direction. I am leaving MN this Saturday morning.
Thanks, Butch
Traveling with an RV4, friend is traveling in an RV7, working our way to the Bahamas.

Where are you going in the Bahamas? What is your departure airport in FL?

If you need to stop overnight in northern AL, Jasper had a courtesy car that was interesting:

http://airnav.com/airport/JFX

JasperCar1.jpg

Last edited:
MN to SNF

Should you make a flight along the Nature Coast (North Gulf Coast) you might want to stop at Perry, Fl for gas, cheapest around. Also you might want to stop at Cedar Key for lunch. It is a beautiful flight from Keaton Beach to Cedar Key along the coast. If you fly low enough you might see porpoise, sharks, or a manatee. Avoid Crystal River for gas, very expensive full service. I live on the coast between Perry and Cedar key and fly to both Perry and Cedar Key. Have a great flight.
Gerry
RV-9 & Cub

FL

We stopped at Perry and Cedar Key, both were great!!! Thanks for the recommendations!

Trip update

We left Charlotte County Airport (FL) this morning and flew to the Bahamas this afternoon (out of Ft Peirce). Dealt with a bit of weather crossing FL and then a bit of a rat race with the International Flight plan, but other than that, things went good and cleared customs and tied down before 5 this afternoon. Will stay in the Bahamas for a couple of days planning to island hop and do some snorking, hope the weather continues to hold out.

Butch
Traveling in an RV4 and RV7

Jennings, LA airport

If you get this far west, Jennings, LA, along I-10. Even has N-S grass plus long E-W pavement. Cheaper self serve 100LL, can literally park right outside one any of several hotels, restaurants, all within 2 min walk. FBO folks are very nice, helpful, avail 24/7 by phone. Good luck. Tough travelling thru midwest this week.

Meanwhile, no rain at KLAL since arrival Mon. West camping area sects 19 and 20 fine.

USAF T-birds next 3 days, great yesterday.

Cooling wx this weekend with chance rain Sun.

Evening departures start at 545pm, arrivals at 645pm.

Forums 9-1pm.

WiFi in campground at $10/day, and yep $30 admit show.

Bring Cash. ATM max $100 w/$3.95 svc chg aaarrrggghhh.

Back