What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tightening Fuel line inside fuselage

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
Anyone have any hints on tightening the fuel line where it meets the fuselage skin 90 degree elbow? I have a fine tooth ratchet and a crows foot but I can't even get that to get a click on the ratchet to tighten it.

Thanks as always

I think I was able to use a regular open end wrench. I have braided lines.
But, I did have to have 2 people, one outside to hold the fitting. That firewall is pretty thin and flimsy so you have to be careful not to bend it when torquing the hose on, and reaching in the gaps in the engine mount after the engine is all hung and outfitted is really tight.

I'm talking about the the two fittings on the fuselage sides like on page 31-08. Where it meets the 90 degree elbow going out to the wings.

Thanks

I took an 11/16 th half moon ring spanner, cut it in half then ground a piece out of the ring to turn it into a pipe spanner. It easily fits all the fuel piping nuts.

I took an 11/16 th half moon ring spanner, cut it in half then ground a piece out of the ring to turn it into a pipe spanner. It easily fits all the fuel piping nuts.

Any chance you could post a picture?

I cut an open end wrench in half and reduced outside dimensions with a vice and a larger die grinder (angle). Enjoyed the stream of sparks coming off the saw blade. Easily cut through the wrench.

Last edited:
I'm away from my shed doing my stuff at the moment KC. If you google half moon spanners and modify it as above so the opening looks the same as a pipe spanner, grind a little off the outside circumference at the opening so it slips onto the flange nuts at the fuel selector you can't go wrong.
Just make sure the spanner is the multi toothed one.

That looks affordable. What do you do to get a torque wrench on it? Do you need a torque wrench on it?

Back