What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LSA Repairman Certificate for ELSA RV-12

bribri609

I'm New Here
Good afternoon all,

I just received some interesting news regarding the repairmen certificate for the RV-12 ELSA that I am in the process of certifying. Since Van's Aircraft Inc. is listed as the manufacturer on the registration I have been told that I am not eligible to apply for the repairman certificate. This means I cannot do the annual condition inspection on the aircraft. Has anyone else overcome this hurdle without changing the manufacturer to your name? Are there any regs that clarify this? I am not willing to do this as it will change from ELSA to EAB.

-Brian

You need to take a 16 hr. LSRI (Light Sport Repair and Inspection) course prior to your 1st annual, then take your course completion document and your a/c registration to your local FSDO and they will issue you a license to perform your own inspections. I took the course from Rainbow Aviation, but I am pretty sure others are giving the course. Not a big deal at all.

I own an E-LSA that was factory-built and sold in the US by the manufacturer as an assembled S-LSA. I had a DAR convert the registration to E-LSA. I recently took the 16 hour LSRI course (Rainbow) and, after completing the appropriate FAA paperwork, have a certificate (from the FAA) authorizing me to perform the annual condition inspection on my E-LSA airplane.

I suspect that you will be able to perform the annual condition inspection on your E-LSA after completing the 16 hour course. Talking to Brian or Carol Carpenter at Rainbow Aviation may address the question.

Once an aircraft is registered as E-LSA, it can NEVER be changed to E-AB. The manufacturer of an E-LSA has no bearing on the owner obtaining a repairman certificate. All the owner (even if not the builder) has to do is take the 16 hour course and apply for the certificate. If I sell my RV-12 E-LSA, the new owner can take the 16 hour course and get a repairman certificate and perform the annual inspections.

It sounds like the problem might be that the O.P. thought that the same application process used to obtain a repairmans certificate for an E-AB aircraft was also used for an E-LSA.
That is not the case.
For E-AB, it just requires an application form and convincing someone that you built enough of the airplane to be eligible.
For E-LSA, it requires taking a 16 training course (as already mentioned).

Thanks for the great responses everyone. I was already planning taking the 16 hour course to make sure my maintenance skills were on par with my building abilities. ;)

If you take the 16 hour course you can perform and sign off inspections on any E-LSA that you own.

If you take the 120 hour course you can perform and sign off inspections on any S-LSA or E-LSA no matter who owns it. You can go into business if you wish.

Ditto what everyone else has posted. I am just getting ready to schedule the class in Denton, TX in March.

S-LSA TO E-LSA

I own an E-LSA that was factory-built and sold in the US by the manufacturer as an assembled S-LSA. I had a DAR convert the registration to E-LSA. I recently took the 16 hour LSRI course (Rainbow) and, after completing the appropriate FAA paperwork, have a certificate (from the FAA) authorizing me to perform the annual condition inspection on my E-LSA airplane.

I suspect that you will be able to perform the annual condition inspection on your E-LSA after completing the 16 hour course. Talking to Brian or Carol Carpenter at Rainbow Aviation may address the question.

I sure would like that DARs name and your N number.

Another wrinkle in LSA Repairmen's Regs

Something that applied to me (and maybe some others) that I learned when I contacted the FSDO about getting my LSA Repairmen's certificate is that in order to hold it, the FAA regs apparently specify that you must be an American citizen. Something I hadn't been aware of even after taking the Rainbow Aviation course.

When I originally got my private license I held a US Green Card. I've since naturalized but never got around to changing the nationality on my private pilot license with the FAA. The FAA uses the same certificate number for both your pilot license and your LSA Repairmen's certificate so when they pulled me up in the system I was "Canadian". Evidently you must be a legal citizen in order to get the LSA Repairmen's certificate. Legal resident doesn't cut it. So in order to get my LSA Repairmen's card, I actually had to update my nationality on my pilot certificate (effectively was given a temporary pilot license until the new one come in the mail).

Ironically, foreign citizens can walk into the FSDO and get all kind of FAA endorsed pilot ratings. I was told that the FAA even has a reciprocal arrangement with Canada for ratings, but its a different story when it comes to getting the LSA condition inspection rating.

103. BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO QUALIFY FOR A REPAIRMAN (LSA) CERTIFICATE. An applicant for a repairman (LSA) certificate must: ? Be at least 18 years of age. ? Read, speak, write, and understand English. If you cannot meet one or more of these requirements due to medical reasons, the FAA may place a limitation(s) on your certificate and rating. ? Demonstrate the requisite skill to determine if an LSA is in a condition for safe operation (e.g., by a Certificate of Completion from an acceptable training program). ? Be a U.S. citizen, or a citizen of a foreign country who has lawfully been admitted for permanent residence in the United States

Jose del Peso
RV -12 N92RV 120633
Boca Raton, FL

If you take the 16 hour course you can perform and sign off inspections on any E-LSA that you own. .

As I understand it, you take the ownership documentation to the FSDO and your repairman certificated is amended to include that aircraft by tail number. Does that technically mean when you buy an E-LSA you should have your repairman certificate updated before you sign off on anything? (It's experimental so you can perform any maintenance appropriate anyway).

As I understand it, you take the ownership documentation to the FSDO and your repairman certificated is amended to include that aircraft by tail number. Does that technically mean when you buy an E-LSA you should have your repairman certificate updated before you sign off on anything?
My repairman certificate does not have my E-LSA N number on it. So I assume that my certificate allows me to inspect any E-LSA that I might own in the future.

Another thing. unless it has changed, you must physically go to the FSDO to get the ELSA repairman certificate. Cannot be done by mail or fax. I advise making an appointment, the right person may not be there if you just walk in.

Another thing. unless it has changed, you must physically go to the FSDO to get the ELSA repairman certificate. Cannot be done by mail or fax. I advise making an appointment, the right person may not be there if you just walk in.

If all FSDOs are secured as mine (Greensboro, NC) walk ins are out of question, you need an appointment and I could not even bring a briefcase in, just my paperwork! On the other hand I met very nice guys there who were curious about the RV-12.

My repairman certificate does not have my E-LSA N number on it. So I assume that my certificate allows me to inspect any E-LSA that I might own in the future.

I just received mine and on the back under limitations it has:

INSPECTION:

AIRPLANE, N112J, SERIAL NO 120691

...but no circle to land in VMC only.....so I got that going for me.

If all FSDOs are secured as mine (Greensboro, NC) walk ins are out of question, you need an appointment and I could not even bring a briefcase in, just my paperwork! On the other hand I met very nice guys there who were curious about the RV-12.

Most of them are that way. You request an appointment and they usually call you in a week or so to set one up.

The days of the walk in are long gone unfortunately.

As I understand it, you take the ownership documentation to the FSDO and your repairman certificated is amended to include that aircraft by tail number. Does that technically mean when you buy an E-LSA you should have your repairman certificate updated before you sign off on anything? (It's experimental so you can perform any maintenance appropriate anyway).

My understanding is that your authorization is specific to aircraft you own listed by tail number on your certificate. You need to search the FAR's. If a tail number is not listed on your certificate, I think something is wrong. Don't go signing off inspections on aircraft you don't own until you know for sure.

John Horn is correct. I was wrong. I looked at my repairman certificate again, this time with my glasses on. It does have my N number and serial number on the back in small print.

On my first three homebuilts the DAR took my Repairman application and filed it with the other paperwork. Now the FAA idiots require an appointment to file the request. Why do we pay these useless bureaucrats?

On my first three homebuilts the DAR took my Repairman application and filed it with the other paperwork. Now the FAA idiots require an appointment to file the request. Why do we pay these useless bureaucrats?

I would rather not clump all of them into that category.... Our inspection by the Cincinnati FSDO was a pleasant experience and a non event. We were issued our Repairmans cert that same day.

When dealing with the FAA, the golden rule applies. As a group within GA, we should put our best foot forward to make sure the FAA can see our value and workmanship as well.

I would rather not clump all of them into that category.... Our inspection by the Cincinnati FSDO was a pleasant experience and a non event. We were issued our Repairmans cert that same day.

When dealing with the FAA, the golden rule applies. As a group within GA, we should put our best foot forward to make sure the FAA can see our value and workmanship as well.

I have met one or two in my day that appeared to be screwed up, but about the time you think they are all alike, you meet one that is very well informed, very talented and highly skilled. Many of these FAA guys have very interesting backgrounds and know what they are talking about. One of the most talented A/C mechanics I have met is now at the Balt. FSDO after many years in general aviation spinning wrenches.

Back