What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need RV-6 Gretz Electric trim kit Install Instructions

Isaac

Well Known Member
I purchased a used Gretz Electric Trim kit for my RV 6 some time back but didn't get any installation information with it.

Does anyone have a copy of the RV 6 installation instructions that they could send me or know of a link to a builder who has installed the Gretz electric trim hardware?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Isaac

Is this the kit that mounts the servo in the fuselage? I'd be interested in seeing that too... I don't have a Gretz kit, but I would like to put together an equivalent system from what's available today. If there's a set of Gretz instructions with diagrams it might help.

RE: Gretz Electric Trim Mod

The Gretz Aero electric trim mod mounts the Ray Allen servo on the rear fuselage deck, between the horizontal/vertical stabilizer under the fiberglass fairing. Gretz doesn't sell the kit anymore but the installation kit provided.

New push/pull cable
Weldment like the WD-415 (not a Van's made part)
Two special clevis for servo end of cable and trim tab control horn end.
Mounting hardware and instructions for installation.

I suspect that early RV6's (and maybe RV4's) utilize a different method of securing the manual trim cable inside the elevator instead of the current design with the WD-415 weldment attached to the E-616PP cover plate on the underside of the elevator and the person that sold me the Gretz kit decided to stick with manual trim because it was to much trouble/difficult to install the E-615PP reinforcement that the cover plate attaches to inside his existing elevator.

I pulled this from my building photos archives. Not sure if this is Gretz or ?? and not sure if it is RV-6 or not, cable path does not look right.

In my case, I've been planning on using an RV-10 trim cable and mounting in tail cone appropriately.

901jh_31jul05_015.jpg

Found this text description on another site:
"The Gretz Aero method of mounting the electric Ray Allen (formerly MAC) servo elevator trim is VERY EASY to install. It does not add the weight of the servo to the elevator, which has to be balanced out with lead. It moves the weight of the servo forward to the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. It saves overall weight. This alternative method places the servo on the rear fuselage deck, between the horizontal stabilizer and the vertical stabilizer and is covered over with the fiberglass fairing provided with the fuselage kit. There are few parts needed for the installation. The hard to find and get parts are made available to you by Gretz Aero in one inexpensive package.

Installation kits consist of:
New push/pull cable
Weldment like wd-415 (not a Van�s made part)
Two each special clevis for servo end of cable and trim tab control horn end.
Bag of mounting hardware needed for installation
Instructions for installation

This kit is best utilized installed on a RV-6/RV-6A, RV-4
RV-7/7A, RV-8/8A, and RV-9A, originally built with a manual trim. "

Last edited:
RE: Need Gretz Trim Instructions

GrayHawk,
The picture you posted is a big help. I took a look at the parts that I have and they match those in the picture. The trim cable is the same color and has black plastic clevis ends. I am going to copy the hardware installation depicted in the picture.
Thanks,
Isaac

In my case, where I want to do a replacement of the manual cable with electric trim, I got an RV-10 trim cable. They are apparently longer than the original Gretz cables, but functioning would be the same. So you might look at some RV-10 builders sites to see how those are done.

Needless to say, if anyone has the original Gretz plans/instructions for the RV-6, please add me to the list.

GH

I am still here! Gretz Aero is still active!

Hello All,
I have not produced the Electric Trim Kits for some time due to decreased building of RV-4, 6, and 8s. Also, the supplier of the push/pull cables that I was using went out of business. There was a different length of cable for each model of aircraft I produced the kits for. I will send to anyone who requests copies of the install instructions as an attachment to an email. Please contact me at [email protected]

Gretz Aero, LLC is still in business and is now located in Tucson, AZ. I did sell the rights to produce, manufacture, and sell the Gretz Aero heated Pitot Tube the GA-1000 and the GA-500 non-heated Pitot tube to Angus Aviation in Australia about five years ago. I still produce and sell the Pitot tube mounting bracket kits to install the Dynon, Garmin, Gretz Aero, Aero Instruments, and other Pitot tubes. We also still sell our GA-AM Audio Mixers, and the GA-TB2 tone generators.

I hope this helps clear up some of the questions about Gretz Aero and the Electric Trim Kits we sold. If you have questions contact me at the above mentioned email address.
Warren Gretz
Gretz Aero, LLC

Back