What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving map with iPad

butch

Well Known Member
I'm needing some assistance on how to use my iPad (non g3) with the ability to have a moving map in flight?? I recently purchased a GNS 5870 Bluetooth gps antenna. I understand that I need to purchase Skycharts or some type of app as well. So the question is, will I be able to obtain an active moving map in flight if I do not G3 service? In other words, do I need Internet access in the air in order to make this work? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
Butch

No, just the GPS.

SkyCharts stores the various maps, so once you've downloaded those you're good till the next update. Your wi-fi connection should be fine for downloading those.

In the air, the GPS and SkyCharts will combine for a great moving map.

Jumped the gun

Thanks for the responses.

Craig, received my GNS today, the hook up was a piece of cake even for a greenhorn. Upon hooking it up, I had to go for a short drive to test it out. I'm really impressed with how accurate this device is.

Now I'm off to make some decisions on which app to download.

Thanks, butch

Both Foreflight and WingX Pro have free trials available. Foreflight is an excellent planning app but not a true moving map as far as I know. WingX does a real moving map with terrain awareness. I've not had a chance try either app in the air, though.

iPad moving map

To all
Just complete a long, 1000nm trip today in the rv four using the iPad as a secondary device. A few observations if helpful.

My pad has the gps. I have not bought the external one at this point so these observations are strictly on the as installed gps.

I am using the fore flight app. This app is easy to use the customer support has been superb and the updates helpful. The direct to function easy to use in real life flight deck conditions. I preloaded rthe route of flight, hit the brief and file functioning in the morning before I left and bingo a great weather briefing. The device has tfrs but a little harder to find. Load the charts you will need the night before with wifi and you are ready to go.

Battery life was fine. I ran it for seven hours and never got below 50 per cent.

Sun position has a lot to do with flight deck readability and I found that the screen was generally readable with the brightness fairly low. At some sun angles no amunt of brightness will make it readable. Your sunglass selection also plays into this equation as well.

The map accuracy was great. What I saw outside the window matched the map display. Very easy to zoom in and out.

Lastly, I had the thing just sitting only lap, no signal reception problems. This is a good supplemental charting device but it is not a true efb. A superb information delivery device but sunlight readability and the temperature use limitations leave it as a supplemental device only in my cockpit. Glad I have it, both in and out of the cockpit.

Your mileage may vary
Bill

No need to carry paper

I have used SkyCharts exclusively for the last several months in all conditions. Heat has not been a problem - although I have mine laying on my lap or on the seat next to me and most of the time I have the case closed. I use it pretty much the same as I would a paper chart - handy, but not necessarily open for the whole flight. It has been great for the flights that change over from VFR to IFR too, just touch the button in the upper left corner and switch to the Low Altitude Enroute chart and you continue to have your course line to follow along with the airplane icon tracking you. Want an approach plate? Tap on the airport you are interested and there is a list of all approach plates and the AFD for the airport. you never have to worry about having everything you need, unless of course you didn't download the area you are flying in. SkyCharts now has the US broken into segments, download the SE US and you will get all charts and approach plates for the SE, and the program will let you know what the cycle is for updates. Updates are downloaded anytime you are on Wifi.

I haven't experienced any problems with the GPS finding me, even when I haven't started the app until airborne, it has found me within a few minutes and has never lost signal. I don't have the external attachment for it. I could see where someone in a Spam Can with no visibility to the sky may need to put an external antenna up on their panel, but I wouldn't invest in it until you try the internal gps. Even the accuracy has been great. With three other GPS' in the plane, I don't necessarily need the ipad GPS, but it is great to have it tracking your position on the chart.

I started with SkyCharts by recommendation from a friend and reviews on here. You have to take a look at what your mission is. I didn't feel like I needed all of the bells and whistles that ForeFlight adds, and their "Free Trial" doesn't do you much good to tell how it really works since you are very limited in what you can do with that version. Once I got going with SkyChart I never looked back since I was very pleased with what it offers.

Maybe my expectations for an EFB are low, but what would make it worthy of being primary for charts instead of supplementary? It hasn't failed me once in about 40 hours of cross country flights. If it does - I have the 430, 496 and Blue Mountain that can all get me where I need. Honestly, 95% of my flights I don't find a need to pull out any chart - paper or plastic:rolleyes:

I didn't feel like I needed all of the bells and whistles that ForeFlight adds, and their "Free Trial" doesn't do you much good to tell how it really works since you are very limited in what you can do with that version.

I just finished my 30 day trial period and the only function I found missing was the batch downloads. I was able to use everything else that was offered, unless I missed something?

SkychartsPro now has restricted area details..

...as well. A red circle inside the area can be tapped and it'll show "Rxxx SFC to 5,000' Mon-Fri" or something similar.

It used to concern me not knowing that info that accompanies those areas along the bottom of the charts....it just gets better:)

Best,

Both Foreflight and WingX Pro have free trials available. Foreflight is an excellent planning app but not a true moving map as far as I know. WingX does a real moving map with terrain awareness. I've not had a chance try either app in the air, though.

Phillip,

I use SkyCharts Pro and Foreflight Mobile on my Ipad 3G. Foreflight has a great moving map that you can rubber band to clear weather ahead, special use airspaces, etc. The AFD in Foreflight Mobile is really nice. If you're on a trial account, you can't cache the maps and airport info that you might want to access. I'm not using a data plan so once I left my airport area the map stopped updating. A 3 month subscription cured that and it works flawlessly in any of the moving map selections.

There are several versions of the iPad Pete..

i didn't think these iPad had GPS 'built-in'?? the only option is with network or not.

....and I have the 32 Gig non-GPS version, since I have a 496 and 430W in the airplane.

The 3G version costs an additional $100 and has its own internal GPS and a moving map.

Best,

Gizmos

Be careful with all those electronic devices. One nearly caused a friend to crash when a stylis was lost and jamed the controls. Not an RV.

so the 3G has the GPS built in? can you buy one with GPS but no 3G? i thought there were only a couple varieties.
i got one for my dad but it did not have any network services other than wifi

All the 3G models have the GPS chip built in. You don't need to subscribe to the 3G service for the GPS to work.

This is for what it is worth comments.

At OSH Foreflight felt the internal gps was not reliable enough for locating the moving plane on IFR charts. No mention was made of the compatible (and portable) gps units we now see available, which they now support on the enroute charts. I have not inquired about the approach plates.

I did not discuss this with other vendors.

David

The bluetooth GPS receiver is a WAAS capable unit and is much more accurate than the built-in GPS chip on my iPad.

That said, I haven't had any issues with 10m accuracy without vs 3m accuracy with the new unit. 10m is close enough, I suppose. I have played with my bluetooth inside my house and still get 5m accuracy even indoors, not that I need a GPS indoors, but it is a very strong receiver.

Back