VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-25-2018, 07:51 AM

I mark crosshairs through the center, extending well outside the finished hole size. On larger holes, it helps me keep the hole 'in the right spot', since the bit will walk the hole sideways with uneven pressure.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:04 PM
been here awhile

If hole location is critical I drill a pilot hole using a conventional bit that is the same diameter as the smallest step on the uni-bit. This and a backing board as mentioned previously eliminates the possibility of the uni-bit walking. A very light touch of the uni-bit with the first oversize step after reaching finished size is a quick way to cleanly deburr the hole.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:26 AM

Ryan---dont hold the piece in your hand. Support it on a bench, in a fixture , in a vise, something. IF the unibit 'were' to grab and bind in the hole, it 'could' twist, AND if you didnt have gloves on, it 'could' create a very hurtful situation. Thin aluminum can be as sharp as a knife---and we certainly dont want to see red stuff on shiny aluminum--or worse.

Yep sometimes in trying to get it done we forget the little things---and they cost us later--. Been there and yep it hurts.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com