VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-08-2018, 10:22 AM

Default $100 Hamburger SW Virginia

My son is working on his private pilot certificate out of Charlottesville Virginia (KCHO). His plan is to do his cross country in the early evening, grab dinner with his instructor, wait till dark, and then complete his night cross country on the return flight. Any recommendations on a airport 50-100 NM from Charlottesville that has good food?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:16 AM

Default KMTV

Martinsville is a little over 100NM but they have a pretty good restaurant on the field.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:31 AM

Default Hummel W75

Hummel W75 has two restaurants within walking distance. One working till late. Runway might present a challenge with a cross wind but since he is flying in the evening it will likely be calm. There is a motel on the field in case they are stuck. Good luck to the young man.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Default KFCI

Chesterfield (KFCI) has Kings Korner restaurant. Pretty good buffet. Check the hours since they are only open for dinner on Friday and Saturday I think.

However, I would go with Blue Ridge (KMTV). the food is decent and this gets him a >100nm cross country in his logbook with an instructor. If he ever goes for his commercial it is required. If he just does the 50nm flight to meet the private requirements he will need to log another separate flight to meet the COM requirements. Ask me how I know...
Old 08-08-2018, 08:59 PM

Wakefield KAKQ Virginia dinner will come to the airport and take you back but only 98NM
Person County KTDF The Homestead will pick you up and bring you back. Often airport attend will call you back when you announce your inbound and ask if you want them to call the restaurant to send the car. @ 114 NM
Raidial RV-8R Ephanage Done, Wings Done, Fuselage underway